• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quick Question regarding MB12 and Folapro

xjhuez

Interesting. I started taking Metafolin 3 weeks ago and I get a chemical taste in my mouth, I also felt nauseous so I discontinued and it went away. I have now switched to folinic acid which I took years ago with no problems.

Yes - nausea, overall ill feeling, and a terrible metallic taste. The one I tried was called Folapro.

Lotus97

Thanks for the reply Lotus97

B-complexes make me feel sick, too. I try to get all my B vitamins from food. There are a lot of individual B vitamins I should try - folinic acid being one of them - but right now I'm burnt out on trying new supplements.
I've heard someone else saying they have a problem with supplements in general. They said they take a food b complex. I'm not sure what brand they take, but New Chapter has one. It's kind of expensive and I have no idea if it will work for you.
http://www.iherb.com/New-Chapter-Organics-Coenzyme-B-Food-Complex-180-Tablets/68
You could also try coenzymated b vitamins. They're in the active form so you don't have to take as much. I'm also kind of burnt out trying new supplements too. I have unopened bottles of PQQ, Citicoline, and pterostilbene that I bought a few months ago when Swanson was have a big sale.
Are you taking betaine HCL? If so, msg me your opinion of it, plz.
I've been taking betaine HCL as a digestive enzyme for the past year or two. I honestly can't tell whether digestive enzymes (of any type) are helping or not. Actually, I can't tell whether most of my supplements are working or not. I've thought about dropping a lot of them, but I've afraid I'll have a crash if I do. I cut back on betaine HCL and TMG recently to see if they were causing symptoms. It's too early to tell, but so far I'm not sure I noticed a difference.
Is there a way to stimulate the BHMT pathway without a methyl donor? And yes, my COMT-/- indicates I should accept methyl donors. It's possible that the symptoms I feel from a full dose of TMG aren't due to overmethylation. As you said, it could be NE.
I don't know if there is a non-methyl donor that stimulates the BHMT. If you think your problem is overmethylation then as I said before you could try B3 and/or hydroxocobalamin, but if you're not taking methylfolate then I'm not sure. Maybe if you're taking a high dose of methylcobalamin along with other methyl donors that could cause problems. Some foods are high in TMG and choline so you could check if you're already getting a lot from your food. If you're COMT -/- then it seems like if norepinephrine is your problem, it wouldn't be from converting too much to dopamine to norepinephrine. I don't know a lot about SNPs so maybe there are other factors involved or maybe COMT -/- isn't a 100% accurate indicator of overmethylation tendency and/or having higher dopamine/norepinphephrine levels. This is what dbkita said recently about that
Also the COMT -/- is the wild type. Its behavior is not enhanced. The other COMT variants have reduced catecholamine metabolism. That does translate directly into higher levels of dopamine and norepinephrine.

xjhuez

I tend to overreact one way or another to pretty much everything I take. Whether it's leaky brain, leaky gut, both or something else I couldn't say.

Based on my behavior I suspect low dopamine (and possibly all my catecholamines), however considering there is both tonic and phasic activity, there are several dopamine receptors, it affects areas of the brain differently, etc.. being "low" is vague and pretty meaningless.

Lotus97

I tend to overreact one way or another to pretty much everything I take. Whether it's leaky brain, leaky gut, both or something else I couldn't say.

Based on my behavior I suspect low dopamine (and possibly all my catecholamines), however considering there is both tonic and phasic activity, there are several dopamine receptors, it affects areas of the brain differently, etc.. being "low" is vague and pretty meaningless.
Caledonia said she was able to tolerate higher doses after she had worked on her CBS issues. I'm not sure if that's going on with you, but it's another thing to consider. It really is trial and error with these things.