• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questionnaire For Keeping Track Of M.E. Symptoms And Progress

golden

Has anyone come up with a decent system of keeping track of progress when trialling treatments?

I know most of the professional ones are seriously flawed.

For me , its the neurological challenges plus an actual fluctuating illness that leaves me perplexed.

I recall Hip raising this issue some time ago. Its an important point.

But a symptom diary is no good to me. I am going to give it a shot though ...

In a single day , important things to take into account :

* Time waking up / time going to sleep
* basal temperature am/pm
*blood pressure sitting standing
*room temperature
*hormonal cycle
*full moon cycle
*weather changes
*diet
*fluid
*any stress factors
*what can be physically achieved
*what can mentally be achieved

A score of 1-10 maybe....

I thought I made a leap in improvement.

Then I woke up to 'insanity ' a couple of mornings ago. Its an exercise advertisement programme... crikey ...
I know I definately cant do that!

But what exercise could i do to proove to myself I am definately improving? I wondered....

I have done a fair amount of chores...but this isnt really conclusive.

Any organisational thoughts anybody¿

golden

For example :

Mental improvement was ...

When the remote control of the TV dies...

I take the batteries out and give them a shake...put them back in and voila!

However In my recent improvement - It occurred to me to simply shake the remote control... voila ! :)

Obviously I cant use this test again as I have worked it out.

I want to know how much my cognitive abilities are improving. I know I still have neurological neurological symptoms.
Tinnitus , some head blockage - need to not jump about ....
But I can cycle well.

Seven7

Seven
To be honest I have in my things to do to write myself an cel App just with CFS tracker, I need to spec it (things that needs to do and how) It is my next project!!! If anybody has suggestions of what they would like on it, I will start it. Not planning to charge for it (unless I need to pay somebody to help me, then I would spread cost).

golden

To be honest I have in my things to do to write myself an cel App just with CFS tracker, I need to spec it (things that needs to do and how) It is my next project!!! If anybody has suggestions of what they would like on it, I will start it. Not planning to charge for it (unless I need to pay somebody to help me, then I would spread cost).

i dont understand that technical stuff but i would be prepared to pay for it.

This is something i have never been very good at. At worst all i could say was 'i am tired' - Whilst I forfilled all the M.E. criteria - after
Now I have had a symptom picture change , I am at a loss.

I think being able to translate info into a graph also would be cool :)

I would add pain level - min, max, avg (or maybe just max), generally 0-10, 10 being worse.

not sure how to measure brain function, memory, coordination, concentration.
not sure how to measure physical activity, i have to cook for myself, otherwise..., but just brushing teeth seems to be a real feat at times. For those who can walk, or do exercise (reps), maybe they can record distance, reps/sets/weight.

maybe:
1. number of times waken at night, how long took to fall asleep, approx total sleep time (may be challenging to know this), or could score sleep on scale 0-10.
2. fatigue level, or energy level
3. sleepiness level (i considered tired to be different than energy/fatigue/weakness)
4. mood
5. pulse rate sitting/standing, am/pm, before meal, after meal
6. body weight
7. SpO2 if have device
8. current Karnofsky score (though this not likely to change from day-to-day, also note here higher numbers are more functional unless scale is changed)
9. stress level

Seven7

Seven
Ok I am starting A list. I guess part of the set up can be how do you want to track Like sleep 1-10; Hours; Awakenings....

SOC

I've kept track of most of the things listed earlier in this thread at various points in my illness. I'm a very data-driven and graphical person, so I thought having hard data would help me. Most of the information I recorded didn't help much, though. :( The ones that I've stayed with because they seem to tell me the most about where I am and what I can do are BP on awakening and HR throughout the day. Interestingly, these are the ones that Dr Rey and Connie (Dr Sol) advised me to record, so I guess they know their stuff where I'm concerned. :) I also include a very rough description of my activity for the day, so that if I do crash I can check back and see if there's a correlation to activity level.

I've never had a good measure of cognitive function. My subjective assessments are often way off the mark, so that was useless. Also, cognitive function covers a lot of area and not all my cognitive functions were impaired, although some -- focus and memory -- were severely impaired at one point.

Another thing to keep in mind when using these measures to evaluate treatments is that very few treatments show a strong improvement in a short time. For example, antibiotics and antivirals can take months to show noticeable improvement. It's going to take a long time to trial all the treatments one at a time for several months each.

Seven7

Seven
The best sign I particularly for me to measure my physical state are stairs and how easy is to go up.
For BF my best measurement is how fast I think.
My neuro symptoms are easy for me to measure because I get pretty bad at depth perception and dropping things. The more I drop the worst I get.

golden

I would find recording external influences important and easy.
hormonal cycle, lunar cycle, temperature, weather, date ,
chemical exposure, lights

internal data:
body temp, weight, bp ,

diet
fluid

current protocol Eg. i do perrin technique each day...etc.

Here lies a problem because most of us are on multiple protocols...

second problem : when assessing eg.a supplement

a) it needs time
b) distinguishing side effects from a detox
c) distinguishing side effects from a natural worsening of M.E. that would have come anyway

Also a build up of drug/treatment /supplement may occur and cause delayed side effects

plus the complication of the delayed 24-48 hour PEM on top of which in the meantime other things will be being done - how on earth can you pinpoint for sure the isolating factor 48 hours ealier as a cause of PEM.

plus actually discovering that a balance of four or five things together works synergetically ...

its complicated.

Exercise - maybe better able to tolerate lying down or on a bicycle rather than being upright and bobbing the head about?

So would i cycle a distance x each day ? or every other day or whatever... see if i get fitter and can do it faster?

gague how easy it is to read a book? see if i have retained any info?

Allyson

I would find recording external influences important and easy.
hormonal cycle, lunar cycle, temperature, weather, date ,
chemical exposure, lights

internal data:
body temp, weight, bp ,

diet
fluid

current protocol Eg. i do perrin technique each day...etc.

Here lies a problem because most of us are on multiple protocols...

second problem : when assessing eg.a supplement

a) it needs time
b) distinguishing side effects from a detox
c) distinguishing side effects from a natural worsening of M.E. that would have come anyway

Also a build up of drug/treatment /supplement may occur and cause delayed side effects

plus the complication of the delayed 24-48 hour PEM on top of which in the meantime other things will be being done - how on earth can you pinpoint for sure the isolating factor 48 hours ealier as a cause of PEM.

plus actually discovering that a balance of four or five things together works synergetically ...

its complicated.

Exercise - maybe better able to tolerate lying down or on a bicycle rather than being upright and bobbing the head about?

So would i cycle a distance x each day ? or every other day or whatever... see if i get fitter and can do it faster?

gague how easy it is to read a book? see if i have retained any info?

Great idea to start this thread

not read all and racing out but I would include temperature - outside plus if you are inside heating or aircon used?

also compression clothing - if tht I swor it can make a difference in fluid levels

electrolyte intake - ditto

Cheers,

ALly