• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question on Famvir

nryanh94

I’ve been taking Famvir for about 2-3 months now, started at 500mg twice a day and have bumped to 3 times a day. I was curious for people that have seen improvement from Famvir, how long did it take? And at what dosage.

just curious if I should switch over to valcyte.

thanks all,

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I’ve been taking Famvir for about 2-3 months now, started at 500mg twice a day and have bumped to 3 times a day. I was curious for people that have seen improvement from Famvir, how long did it take? And at what dosage.

just curious if I should switch over to valcyte.

thanks all,
After 3 months when i first started i noticed i hadnt crashed. Took 6 months before i could say i felt alot better. I did and do still get crashes when on famvir but they arent as hard or as long as when off famvir. Viral issues i have a cmv, ebv, varicella.

hmnr asg

After 3 months when i first started i noticed i hadnt crashed. Took 6 months before i could say i felt alot better. I did and do still get crashes when on famvir but they arent as hard or as long as when off famvir. Viral issues i have a cmv, ebv, varicella.
What was the dose you were taking? I'm at 250mg a day and whenever I try to up the dose I end up getting migraines.

Also, do the benefits vanish if you stopped taking famvir?

Thank you

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
What was the dose you were taking? I'm at 250mg a day and whenever I try to up the dose I end up getting migraines.

Thank you
I started on 250mg twice a day and after a few years went to 500mg twice a day.
For me the benefits dont last long when i stop. Currently taking famvir very irregularly last 18 months due to supply issues. So i have regressed.

If 250mg once a day you can tolerate then just stick with that. After a few weeks or months try upping it to twice a day.

The initail poster mentions valcyte. Personally id leave it alone for 12 months before considering it. Work on increasing nk function as well.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3

Has the Famvir been helping you even at that low of a dose? Your post was a while ago... are you still taking it?

Last edited:

hmnr asg

Has the Famvit been helping you even at that low of a dose? Your post was a while ago... are you still taking it?
nope it did not help me. Maybe i should have gone the higher dose or stayed longer, but i didn't (the side effects were pretty bad for me). Also tried valtrex (Valaciclovir) with no luck.