• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about Nebulization for Medicine Delivery

Swim15

Not sure if anyone can comment much on this but Ive been doing IV infusions of glutathione and NAD+, among other things, with very good results so far.

I’m thinking I’m going to try putting both of those in a nebulizer so I can get additional delivery easily and more frequently without having to hook up to an IV.

I know the ‘medical’ answer to this question but does anyone have an informed opinion on weather or not the compounds need to be entirely sterile? Ive got raw powder of both and have the ability to sterilize it - it’s just a lot easier if I were able to mix in a sterile beaker with distilled water and put directly into the nebulizer.

How much of a problem do you guys think that would be if any? Figure Ive had prolonged periods of smoking dirty bong water back in the day and didn’t have an apparent ill effects. Curious if ‘very clean’ would be alright for practical purposes

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
It's been a long time since I read this article so I don't remember if it has the answer to your questions, but it might interest you since it's about nebulizing magnesium, glutathione, and other compounds:
http://drsircus.com/medicine/magnesium/nebulizing-magnesium-and-other-medicinals

And here is some info from an article here on PR, that mentions the importance of buffering nebulized glutathione:
8. Nebulizer application to the lungs, as pioneered by Dr. Buhl et al. at the NIH and as described by Dr. Julian Whitaker in his newsletter Health and Healing. Dr. Buhl used 600 mg in a few milliliters of water per application. Dr. Whitaker uses 300 mg, two times per day, applied over 5 to 10 minutes with a nebulizer, available from a medical supply company. He recommends Wellness Health and Pharmaceuticals (numbers given above) andCalifornia Pharmacy and Compounding Center as sources for the glutathione. Nebulized glutathione is being used for a variety of lung diseases now, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, interstitial pulmonary fibrosis and multiple chemical sensitivity.

There are reports that quite a bit gets into the blood using this approach. Valerie Hudson, who has helped to pioneer use of aerosol glutathione in cystic fibrosis, suggests L-Glutathione Plus capsules from Theranaturalsmixed with boiled water, applied with a nebulizer. No prescription is required for the capsules, and it may also be possible to get a nebulizer without a prescription. Valerie suggests one capsule containing 200 mg of reduced glutathione mixed into 3 or 4 ml of boiled water.

[Buffering]
An important feature of this source of glutathione (available without a prescription) is that it is buffered with sodium bicarbonate. Clark Bishop, M.D., wrote me that this buffering is important, because if the pH is too acid, it can lead to bronchospasm when nebulizing. People who are subject to asthmatic attacks should not use nebulized glutathione, as it can result in bronchospasm, thought to be caused by the sulfites that form when glutathione is mixed with water.

[Sterile water]
It’s also very important in nebulizing to use pure, boiled or sterile water, and a clean nebulizer in order to prevent introducing infections or respirable particulates into the lungs. Because of these issues, nebulizing is best done under the supervision of a doctor or a respiratory therapist.

Learner1

@Swim15 Not sure the nebulizer is needed for NAD+. It is available in sublingual tablets, which sends it right into the bloodstream - I feel the effects within 5 minutes.

I find that the 700mg NutriFlair Setria glutathione capsules work well, and feel the effects within 15-20 minutes, and have taken up to 4 a day. Vitamin C is also needed to help recycle glutathione, And I have had energy bumps by increasing ALA, A and E.

Swim15

@Swim15 Not sure the nebulizer is needed for NAD+. It is available in sublingual tablets, which sends it right into the bloodstream - I feel the effects within 5 minutes.

I find that the 700mg NutriFlair Setria glutathione capsules work well, and feel the effects within 15-20 minutes, and have taken up to 4 a day. Vitamin C is also needed to help recycle glutathione, And I have had energy bumps by increasing ALA, A and E.

Yeah it probably isn’t necessary but more just curious and I think Ive had some problems with lung function. Interested to see if direct application helps at all.

I haven’t noticed much from sublingual administration of NAD or glutathione but damn, the IV effects are out of this world. Wish I had started that a while ago.

I think I’m going to just mix the powders in a sterile container and then add to the nebulizer...whatever is in the air is the only thing that would contaminate them and we obviously breathe that all day long so probably not too concerning

Will see how it goes and update!

Learner1

I haven’t noticed much from sublingual administration of NAD or glutathione but damn, the IV effects are out of this world. Wish I had started that a while ago.
The effects are definitely different for me between IV and sublingual. IV is extremely unpleasant and difficult to tolerate, but has decent effects which last 36 hours or so, while the sublingual has no unpleasant effects but is effective an increasing energy, though the effects last maybe 6-12 hours, depending upon my level of activity as well as the fatigue I start with.
Will see how it goes and update!
Please do, thank you for sharing!

Swim15

I did two nebulization sessions the last couple days and will do another today. I've done nasal ozone insufflation and hydrogen peroxide nebulization prior to the glutathione - not sure if would increase the effects but guessing it could.

I definitely am breathing better which is interesting so I think I will keep it up for a week or two and see how things feel.

I did add some NAD+ to it although I'm not sure if I noticed a lot. It was probably only 50-75mg though.

I will say out of everything, I really do like the combo and especailly the NAD. Feels like the IV effects last a week or more and have been building on each other but still a little early to tell. If redox balances were way off - more along the lines of the ONOO theory - then I'm guessing the NAD and glutathione in combo with other things could balance it back out. Will see

Learner1

hydrogen peroxide nebulization
I know of patients whose veins were ruined by hydrogen peroxide infusions, rather than vitamin C which has much the same therapeutic benefit. It may be a risk with nebulized H2O2 permanently damaging nasal tissue, capillaries, and veins.

Lipid peroxidation is the damaging of cell and mito membranes by excess H2O2.

Swim15

I know of patients whose veins were ruined by hydrogen peroxide infusions, rather than vitamin C which has much the same therapeutic benefit. It may be a risk with nebulized H2O2 permanently damaging nasal tissue, capillaries, and veins.

Lipid peroxidation is the damaging of cell and mito membranes by excess H2O2.

Yeah it can be a problem. From what Ive seen, there aren’t many issues if any with 1-1.5% solutions used for moderate amounts of time.

After trialing though I’m just going to continue with glutathione and maybe try some other mediations at some point via nebulization since it’s an easy route