• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about IVIG and LDN....

Vineyard1

I am getting IVIG (Octagam) every 28 days for low Total IgG and IgG1 for chronic active infections. It is not an autoimmune dose.
The IVIG helps manage some, but not all, infections and surely comes with side effects. I was considering starting LDN to offset the general inflammation that comes from receiving foreign plasma. However, I read in studies that LDN suppresses B cell production which seems counter to what IVIG does which is to increase the amount of B cells.
Does anyone take both IVIG and LDN for more immune deficiency issues versus autoimmune disease?
Does anyone have thoughts about my situation?
Thanks!

its a very good question, i would like to know the answer myself, as i am on sub q. hizentra. i will follow this to see if you get any good answers.

joanierav

Gingergrrl

I don't know the answer re: IVIG increasing B-cells (and am now curious myself and following this)!

I do know that LDN can push you into autoimmunity b/c when I very briefly tried LDN with a former naturopath in 2014, both she and my Endo said that we would have to monitor my thyroid levels every seven DAYS b/c I had Hashimoto's Disease and LDN could push you into hyperthyroid and had to be carefully monitored. We did not yet know about my other autoimmune issues at that time.

Vineyard1

I don't know the answer re: IVIG increasing B-cells (and am now curious myself and following this)!

I do know that LDN can push you into autoimmunity b/c when I very briefly tried LDN with a former naturopath in 2014, both she and my Endo said that we would have to monitor my thyroid levels every seven DAYS b/c I had Hashimoto's Disease and LDN could push you into hyperthyroid and had to be carefully monitored. We did not yet know about my other autoimmune issues at that time.

This is very interesting to know as I am on meds for hypothyroidism...thank you for that info.

Gingergrrl

This is very interesting to know as I am on meds for hypothyroidism...thank you for that info.

After reading what you just wrote, I am not certain if it pertains to ALL hypothyroidism or only if you have Hashimoto's Disease (autoimmune hypothyroid). I would check with your doctor. I know 100% that it pertains to Hashimoto's and you have to carefully monitor thyroid if taking LDN.

kangaSue

After reading what you just wrote, I am not certain if it pertains to ALL hypothyroidism or only if you have Hashimoto's Disease (autoimmune hypothyroid). I would check with your doctor. I know 100% that it pertains to Hashimoto's and you have to carefully monitor thyroid if taking LDN.
Can't say I've researched it in any great detail but that would be contrary to what I've read about LDN's use for Hashi's. I have seen it mentioned a lot though that LDN can make things worse initially and it can take 6 -12 months before any improvement starts to kick in.

As an example;
https://thyroidpharmacist.com/articles/low-dose-naltrexone-and-hashimotos/
[Low dose naltrexone (LDN) balances the immune system by increasing the amount of T-regulatory cytokines and modulating TGF-B, leading to a reduction of Th-17, the promoter of autoimmunity. This means that it turns off the cells that cause autoimmunity!]

Gingergrrl

Can't say I've researched it in any great detail but that would be contrary to what I've read about LDN's use for Hashi's. I have seen it mentioned a lot though that LDN can make things worse initially and it can take 6 -12 months before any improvement starts to kick in.

I do not know a lot about this topic and I was unable to tolerate LDN whatsoever when I tried it in 2014. I just remember at the time that both my former naturopath and my Endo said that it can push someone with Hashi's into hyperthyroid and thyroid labs would be required every seven days (but they were still willing to try it). There may be a lot of new info since early 2014 when they gave me this advice. I don't want to give anyone misinformation!

Ema

I think you have to carefully monitor thyroid because once the Hashi's antibodies go down from the LDN, you can become hyperthyroid if you don't reduce your dose. ETA it's probably more correct to say once the immune system calms down since it is more the cytokines and inflammatory mediators that cause the damage, rather than the antibodies themselves.

It's a good question about IVIG and LDN. I don't know the answer for sure, but I do know that they are often used together like in this study for POTS. I've always surmised that our antibody production was maybe faulty in some way, so suppressing our own production of the faulty B cells, and adding in replacement through IVIG of hopefully functional B cells might work together synergistically.

But I don't know that is true for sure.