• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Q & A with CDC's STEVE MONROE, by Mindy Kitei

SOC

When I came across the "Q and A" that Mindy posted at her site earlier today, my reaction was that the "Answers" weren't responsive - they really looked like a few canned statements that had been supplied as perhaps the most "appropriate" responses to the Questions from a limited group of statements that could be chosen. Not really responsive.

I had a similar reaction. I thought it sounded like Monroe didn't answer the questions himself, but gave a list of, say, 20 acceptable PR statements to some poor flunky (in the PR dept?), who had to make the closest match s/he could with very limited knowledge of the situation. It does sound like a limited number of canned sound bites selected to feed media questions, doesn't it? It might be fun to watch for repetition of these statements as the situation heats up and the media actually starts calling them. *grin*

For questions about the CDC XMRV "study"
The information in the Retrovirology paper was consistent with the specifics of the study design. The results, and methodology, have been confirmed by three different independent laboratories

For questions about CDC future research into CFS
The direction of CFS research has, and will continue to be, based on the best available scientific information and insights gained from our research and the findings of others.
or
CDC is deeply committed to reducing the morbidity and societal costs associated with CFS to enable a better quality of life for CFS patients.

For questions about CFS treatment
Unfortunately, there are very few double-blind, placebo-controlled studies of interventions for alleviating symptoms of CFS. CDC recommends that people with CFS work with a healthcare professional to develop a treatment plan that is highly individualized and addresses their particular constellation of symptoms

blah, blah, and more useless blah

SOC

Mindy: Send your Qand A to Dr. Frieden (head of CDC) at ftdh@cdc.gov. Let him see how demeaning the responses are and the games that HIS people play with us - the TAXPAYERS.

Ooooh! It might be fun to send the same questions to Dr Frieden and see if we get the same canned answers. [wicked grin]

V99

Having Reeves involved with future CFS research is like making Tony "the butcher" of Baghdad middle-east peace envoy. Hang on a minute ...
:tear::tear::tear::D:D:tear::tear::tear::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::Retro tongue::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused: