• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pupils suddenly tiny

Cheryl M

Well, this is new. I woke up feeling only a bit worse than usual (more pain in head and stomach) and found my pupils had constricted dramatically. It's been eight hours now and they're still tiny. The nurse shone a light in my eyes and claimed they were constricting and dilating, therefore there was no need to worry, but I haven't been able to replicate that at home. It's bilateral, so presumably not from a stroke, and my eyes aren't painful, nor are they more photophobic than usual. This has never happened before.

The Internet is no use since all it tells me is that I'm a heroin addict. Really, the last thing I need is for my clinic to think I'm taking opiates when I'm not.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
My mom, who is 86, has that all the time. I mentioned it to the technicians at her recent eye test and they said that is more common as we age. She also has COPD. I don't think I remember them saying anything about it being related to that. I believe instead they just said those muscles weaken as we get older.

I don't know how long she was experiencing it before I noticed so it may not have been a sudden onset as yours appears to be. You may want to speak to your doctor to make sure nothing else is going on.

Wolfcub

Well, this is new. I woke up feeling only a bit worse than usual (more pain in head and stomach) and found my pupils had constricted dramatically. It's been eight hours now and they're still tiny. The nurse shone a light in my eyes and claimed they were constricting and dilating, therefore there was no need to worry, but I haven't been able to replicate that at home. It's bilateral, so presumably not from a stroke, and my eyes aren't painful, nor are they more photophobic than usual. This has never happened before.

The Internet is no use since all it tells me is that I'm a heroin addict. Really, the last thing I need is for my clinic to think I'm taking opiates when I'm not.

Try not to worry to much about that. My pupils are very small also. I figured out why! The only way I can see them (as I have darker eyes) is to be in a light and use a magnifying glass! The other evening I did manage to see them dilate normally but it wasn't easy as I had to go out of the light to see that.

I got concerned about the almost constant head/eye socket pain I get -now that is not a real "pain" more like twinges that are there most days (though not every day), and so I can't call that "pain". But I thought I'd check my eyes are working like they should. It was when I was feeling a bit rough I checked my eyes.

I think the problem is when they don't dilate or constrict like they ought to in response to light. Or more worryingly, if one refuses to respond. Otherwise I think all is well.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
This could be caused by the autonomic nervous system as it controls pupil constriction and dilation in various ways. Here is a "dense" quote on the subject:
Ciliary ganglion neurons project to the ciliary body and the sphincter pupillae muscle of the iris to control ocular accommodation and pupil constriction, respectively....Ocular blood flow is controlled both via direct autonomic influences on the vasculature of the optic nerve,

Carl

Constricted pupils usually occurs with parasympathetic nervous system stimulation whereas sympathetic stimulation causes dilation.

When a person finds someone attractive their pupils dilate.

ryan31337

I've had this picked up on by nurses and doctors before too. Also, somewhat more awkwardly at work when colleagues have asked me if I am on drugs...o_O

There is some preliminary research out there suggesting that pupil response could be useful for investigating Small Fibre Neuropathy.

Cheryl M

Ta to all that replied. They're still small. I'm a bit worried about my brain now, but then, I was already. I'll just wait for more symptoms to pop up (while assuring my clinic that I;m not on opiates).

Seven7

Seven
I get that with orthostatic intolerance (mine is usually one eye) but I have gone temporarily blind when the dilate.
OI gives you crashes also, so you will get like bad digestion, pee schedule off, blinking, swallowing, pupils, sleep and anything involuntary issues.

Lisa108

If you had a stroke or other brain trauma, then the pupil/s would be dilated (enlarged), so that is ruled out.

What meds do you take? Maybe it is a common side effect. (Ibu, Diclo, Aspirin?)
Do your eyes hurt? Are they red and watery? Is your visual acuity reduced? -> could be 'Iritis'
Tiny pupils are also common with MS.
If the eyelid is dropping, it could be Horner's syndrome.

Hope you'll figure it out (or that your pupils start working normally) soon!

Cheryl M

OK, so I had a horrific crash last week after staying up all night working flat out on artwork for my choir. When I woke up my pupls were dilated. They then went back to being tiny and have mostly stayed that way. At least they're both always the same size! (One side of my face hasn't drooped either!)

I haven't changed medication lately and I've had OI for at least eleven years, so that's not new. I told my doctor about the pupil thing and she was supremely unimpressed. It's probably not the most important symptom, though...