• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prusty: U-clinic Würzburg accepts ME/CFS patients

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Prusty tweets.. I hope I can get there soon!
FD8F12FC-F620-47B2-8F75-9720B46956BF.jpeg

nerd

Has he mentioned what center of the Uniklinik accepts the patients? Do we have to go through his own department or where do we need to call?

I personally believe that Prusty and his colleagues have a better lead than the Charitè. Also, the Charitè only accepts Berlin/Brandenburg patients.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Has he mentioned what center of the Uniklinik accepts the patients? Do we have to go through his own department or where do we need to call?

I personally believe that Prusty and his colleagues have a better lead than the Charitè. Also, the Charitè only accepts Berlin/Brandenburg patients.
I don't know that is everything he posted yet

nerd

They'll only accept a few dozens of patients for their next trial, due to limited funds. I guess the clinic is supposed to sort out the best candidates. I'm not sure what else they'll offer to non-participants.

nerd

How do you know?

I read his older Tweets yesterday. He mentioned something like this. I think it was 10 control, 10 long haulers, 10 CFS/ME patients, long-term surveillance for all of them, amounting to 30k EUR each for the testing.

Makes me wonder though why the testing isn't payed by insurances. They only need a physician who orders the tests, don't they? If this allows them to enroll more participants, I would go this route. Even if it's just a 1-2 tests for the major subgroup.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I read his older Tweets yesterday. He mentioned something like this. I think it was 10 control, 10 long haulers, 10 CFS/ME patients, long-term surveillance for all of them, amounting to 30k EUR each for the testing.

Makes me wonder though why the testing isn't payed by insurances. They only need a physician who orders the tests, don't they? If this allows them to enroll more participants, I would go this route. Even if it's just a 1-2 tests for the major subgroup.
Insurance? They don’t invest in studies. A hospital gets a certain amount of money (2000€) for each committal. Then the hospital has to act like every company on the market. That’s why patients usually stay only a few days even if they are very ill.

nerd

Insurance? They don’t invest in studies. A hospital gets a certain amount of money (2000€) for each committal. Then the hospital has to act like every company on the market. That’s why patients usually stay only a few days even if they are very ill.

It's different for private insurances. But even the flat rate can be increased by adding additional flat charges. It doesn't even sound like the testing requires hospitalizations, so I wonder how the system treats individual costs like these. They aren't in any fee regulations yet because they are custom tests. I don't know if this allows university clinics to charge something. When COVID-19 tests weren't in the regulations yet, they also managed to charge more than 100 EUR per test initially.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

It's different for private insurances. But even the flat rate can be increased by adding additional flat charges. It doesn't even sound like the testing requires hospitalizations, so I wonder how the system treats individual costs like these. They aren't in any fee regulations yet because they are custom tests. I don't know if this allows university clinics to charge something. When COVID-19 tests weren't in the regulations yet, they also managed to charge more than 100 EUR per test initially.
Yes that’s true for committals, but not for studies. Don’t ask me Sozialgesetzbuch anything I-5 paragraph blaaaa … only for medical reasons. But not studies.

nerd

Yes that’s true for committals, but not for studies. Don’t ask me Sozialgesetzbuch anything I-5 paragraph blaaaa … only for medical reasons. But not studies.

German bureaucracy.... From my perspective, since we don't have any approved diagnostics and treatments, applying candidate diagnostics and treatments is medically indicated. I suspect this is really a problem of the indoctrination from the Kassenverband (insurance associations) telling participating physicians that they aren't allowed to test or treat anything that isn't completely officially approved and urgently necessary. Private insurances would have to pay if a doctor orders it, I'm quite sure. They also have to pay the non-officially approved muscarinergic-cholinergic antibody testing of the Charitè.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

German bureaucracy.... From my perspective, since we don't have any approved diagnostics and treatments, applying candidate diagnostics and treatments is medically indicated. I suspect this is really a problem of the indoctrination from the Kassenverband (insurance associations) telling participating physicians that they aren't allowed to test or treat anything that isn't completely officially approved and urgently necessary.
Now you mix things legally… but the last sentence is correct. It’s really a burden to pay for all these tests