• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Property Brothers" J.D. Scott battling "debilitating illness" for a year - People Magazine

Mary

Moderator Resource
I'd never heard of nor seen the show "Property Brothers at Home" (it's on HGTV) - but this on-line headline from People Magazine caught my eye:
Property Brothers Sibling J.D. Scott Reveals He's Been Battling a Debilitating Illness for a Year

I read the article and it sounds very much like J.D. Scott has ME/CFS, though it's not mentioned. Posting it here fwiw -

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebr...illness-for-a-year/ar-AAEbuzy?ocid=spartandhp

“Walking too much would bring on the symptoms. Heat would bring on the symptoms,” Scott shares. “So I was very limited in what I could do. But as long as I was within an area that I could control, I could actually do things.”

Sound familiar?

Blue Jay

It certainly sounds familiar, all those symptoms plus the dropping off of friends. The isolation can be devastating.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@keepontruckin
Wonder if mold in any of the buildings could have aggravated his symptoms.
Meep (borrowed, with thanks, from @nyanko_the_sane, short for ME People, or Meeple) minds think alike!!! I was thinking the same thing, in broader terms.

In the brother's renovating of homes, the quantity and number of toxins released must be prodigious, mold among them.

Should we email/text/ Facebook him with some helpful road signs, particularly in view of Drs refusal to admit that this illness exists?

I'll leave that decision up to @Mary, who's savvier about the ins and outs of all this.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Should we email/text/ Facebook him with some helpful road signs, particularly in view of Drs refusal to admit that this illness exists?

I'll leave that decision up to @Mary, who's savvier about the ins and outs of all this.
Hi @YippeeKi YOW !! - actually I'm not any savvier about those ins and outs than anyone else here. It had occurred to me to try to reach out to J.D. Scott in some fashion, but I don't have a clue as to the best way. And when I've proffered unsolicited medical advice to someone, it generally has not been that well-accepted! :sluggish: (I find myself wanting to give almost everyone I meet health advice! :whistle:) Having said this, however, I do think it's a good idea to provide him basic info about ME/CFS. Since he's been willing to go public with his illness, he should be prepared for public input. I would provide him with the diagnostic criteria that PatJ always links, together with a link to the new JAMA article which says that ME/CFS is real: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2737854
And I know others would have recommendations too - who knows what will get through to somebody! Oh, and also a link to PR!

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Mary
See? I knew you were savvier about this.

All your suggestions are terrific, especially the links that @PatJ has so generously provided to us (and I don't think I would have thought of it), and I'll follow up on them, except for Facebook, which I've avoided like goiter, as soon as I'm a little more operational. And can find a contact for him.

And DEFINITELY a link to PR !!!

I wanted to make sure, before I tried anything, that it falls within the rules and protocols for this site, so double thank you for your post !!!

If anyone reading this has any input for a link to JD Scott, please do post it, along with any additional suggestions re contacting him or any additional info that should be, or could be, included.

My concern is that, given the numbness of Drs re this illness, he's being bombarded with treatments and meds that are going to do a lot more damage than good. If that can be avoided to any degree I'll be happy as a pig in porridge.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@maybe some day
Just read the article and in my opinion, theres no doubt.
You know that, I know that, @Mary knows that ..... we all know that.

Wanna bet his Drs have no clue?

And that Scott himself will react with dismissive disbelief? At least until Drs have worked thru at least half a dozen misdiagnoses and multiple devastating treatment protocols?

Makes me grind my teeth in frustration.

Still, it's worth a try.

He says he had a severe infection. Wonder what it was? This sounds like MCAS:

"After a round of antibiotics and cutting out wheat, dairy, soy, gluten and sugar from his diet about a month ago, Scott says his condition has improved."