• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prop 65 warning on White Tiger Oxymatrine

I ordered White Tiger Oxymatrine for the seconnd time and found a label stating that it contains carcinogens and/or teratogens recognized by California.

I checked the list and (oxy)matrine wasn't on the list, apparently.

Should I be worried about contaminations, or is this just bureaucracy?

Hip

Sophora root contains both matrine and oxymatrine (and oxymatrine converts to matrine when taken orally). This study found teratogenic effects from matrine. As for carcinogenicity, this paper found matrine actually has anti-cancer effects in rat colorectal cancer.

So I guess it would be better to avoid oxymatrine / matrine in pregnancy. Indeed, this article on oxymatrine safety concludes:
To be safe, children should not take high doses of sophora root or its extracts and should probably avoid this herb material entirely, in case there might be some unexpected high sensitivity in some young children.

In addition, sophora and its alkaloids should be avoided during pregnancy, in the event that there is a sensitivity of the nervous system in the fetus.

Adults should not exceed the amounts used in the clinical trials, which have been in the range of 600 mg by injection or 900 mg orally, and adults with renal disorders might avoid using this herb as a precaution even though the one comment relayed above does not seem to have clinical or laboratory support at this time.

:)! Good save hip! I'm on 2x oral exceed amount. Wait why does it cause renal damage :O!?!? I'm soon to be blind :'(