• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

progesterone for men

hello I am gonna start progesterone soon and I was wondering if anyone had benefited from this hormone? i am starting at 12mg a day.

WoolPippi

I have. I take progesteron for my adrenals so although I'm a woman it's not a sex hormone for me.

What form are you taking? And do you take it for your adrenals?

It is important you take progesteron, not progestin. In Europe the right brand is called Utrogestan. This hormone is identical to the hormone human bodies produce. Progestins are not identical to human progesteron and have undesirable side-effects. Unfortunately they are heavily lobbied with doctors.

I take an oral pill of 100 mg which gets converted to 10 mg by the liver, into the blood stream, which is the amount people (man/woman) need per day. It has a half time of 4 hours. I wonder if you can feel its effect and the wearing off. I take my pill at night and sleep better.

For adrenals progesteron is wonderful. It calms me down fast. It is the hormone from which cortisol is made. My adrenals are less burdened. I help them additionally with table salt, vit C and protein. And rest.
Testosteron helps with this too. Is your testosteron ok? Both free and total testosteron.

I have. I take progesteron for my adrenals so although I'm a woman it's not a sex hormone for me.

What form are you taking? And do you take it for your adrenals?

It is important you take progesteron, not progestin. In Europe the right brand is called Utrogestan. This hormone is identical to the hormone human bodies produce. Progestins are not identical to human progesteron and have undesirable side-effects. Unfortunately they are heavily lobbied with doctors.

I take an oral pill of 100 mg which gets converted to 10 mg by the liver, into the blood stream, which is the amount people (man/woman) need per day. It has a half time of 4 hours. I wonder if you can feel its effect and the wearing off. I take my pill at night and sleep better.

For adrenals progesteron is wonderful. It calms me down fast. It is the hormone from which cortisol is made. My adrenals are less burdened. I help them additionally with table salt, vit C and protein. And rest.
Testosteron helps with this too. Is your testosteron ok? Both free and total testosteron.
this one https://www.longnaturalhealth.com/Dr-Peats-Progest-E-Complex-34-ml (not progestin btw)

1 drop is 3 mg
I will be using 4 drops =12 mg n see how I feel from there.
2 on each wrist
I'm a male
I heard Oral progesterone wasn't that good its better to use on skin its absorbed better. you´re just wasting your money taking 100mg pill just to get 10mg progesterone.
I belive I have an progesterone deficient and estrogen dominance.
progesterone half life I belive is 13 hours.
This wonderful Hormone I belive is not getting the attention it should I belive its very VERY important for brain health..
another thing when a woman is Pregnant their progesterone levels increase and many report their depression/anxiety etc went away during that time.

https://neuroendoimmune.wordpress.c...ansmitters-the-under-recognized-relationship/

https://redcon1online.com/progesterone/amp/

some progesterone info I found

´´''In a healthy individual, the student explains, social rejection is followed by a release of progesterone in the body. This is the ideal response to rejection, as it helps one to recover emotionally from being rejected. In people with high social anxiety, a decrease in progesterone was actually observed. This made them more vulnerable to hurt feelings and social withdrawal, among other negative behaviors.'''

progesterone also raises GABA which is Anxiolytic.

''Progesterone is known as a neurosteroid, it enhances GABA's calming affect and suppresses the excitatory glutamate response. It is synthesized in the central nervous system and affects nerve functioning, and therefore mood and behaviour. Once progesterone is used the anti anxiety affect is achieved within 3 to 10 minutes. The anti anxiety response is the same as that found after benzodiazephine (benzo) drugs, but does not have any addictive side effects as drugs.''´´

WoolPippi

>I heard Oral progesterone wasn't that good its better to use on skin its absorbed better. you´re just wasting your money taking 100mg pill just to get 10mg progesterone.

bold statement. Depends on the goal.

drugs on the skin give an instant rise. Good for sex hormonal replacement therapy. I use a prog. cream for my cycle for that reason. Effects are fast but also certainly gone after 4 hours.

Working through the liver is how most medicinal drugs work. 10% conversion is a conventional rate. And individuals will surely differ.
It's why you can't mix grape fruit with certain drugs, because it affects this rate.

Giving progesteron via the liver gives a slower rise in blood levels and a longer release. Hence the 13 hours you read.

I overdosed on Progesteron last year, to see what the symptoms would be, and depression was one of them :(
But in moderation it's a wonderful neurotransmitter :)
One itty bit of cream on my wrist and I feel an instant sigh of relief and bliss :)

Also: Zinc is important as a supplement for brain health. As is vit D. And the mineral Lithium (not the drug). These three plus progesteron keep me sane. And avoidance of garlic, onion and artificial vanilla flavouring (=vanillin). These stimulate the brain too much.

Hip

i am starting at 12mg a day.

I find doses of around 8 mg of progesterone daily are helpful for combatting anxiety symptoms. If I go higher than that, I get some side effects (disturbed sleep, and a sleep that is too light, rather than deep).

The Source Naturals transdermal progesterone cream I use contains 17 mg progesterone per gram of cream, and I usually dose with around half a gram of this cream.

Note that progesterone may boost Th2, and inhibit Th1. Ref: 1