• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotics flaring site of previous infection

ChrisD

For the last 3 years of having ME, probiotics have been amazing for me in terms of maintaining what health I have left and particularly good sleep. But since an acute infection last December in a specific area which was controlled with antibiotics, every time I use probiotics they re-flare up the pain at that site.

It’s almost as if the tissue or veins in this area were damaged by the infection and they have become a target for autoimmune activity, a battleground for infection, even from probiotics.

It’s really frustrating as my sleep and health are worse in order to stay pain free but when I use them again my sleep and health improve but the pain returns, really frustrating!

Can anyone speculate on a reason for this? Or any similar experiences?