• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotic = Severe headpain/migraine?

bertiedog

Has anybody else suffered with a severe migraine (or headpain if not migraine sufferer) the day after taking a probiotic? It would appear to have happened to me every time I have taken one capsule of Garden of Life Raw Colon probiotic, the strength is 50 billion CFU.

Last week I had killer migraines daily from Wednesday through to Sunday and didn't really understand why. I was taking Cephalaxin for a UTI so I thought originally it was due to this but anyway I stopped taking the Cephalexin from Friday and the probiotic from Saturday evening. I didn't have another one until last night and the migraines stopped and I gradually felt much better.

I hadn't realised about the probiotic causing the migraines so last evening around 6 pm I took another one but started getting headpain around 10 pm and today it has gone the way of last week and has developed into a very painful migraine that won''t go away and doesn't respond to usual painkillers.

Just wondered how common this might be amongst ME sufferers and puts me off taking a probiotic.

Pam

ljimbo423

Just wondered how common this might be amongst ME sufferers and puts me off taking a probiotic.

Hi Pam-

I rarely get migraines but I get mild headaches often. When I take a large dose of almost anything that changes my gut microbiome, I usually get a headache.

If I took a capsule of 50 billion cfu probiotics, I would most certainly have a really bad headache. When I increase my dose of probiotics I usually don't increase it more than 5 billion cfu at a time. Usually at 3 day intervals.

bertiedog

Thanks for that @ljimbo423, it seems way too much of a coincidence that on the 5 occasions I have taken that probiotic, the next day I have had a really horrendous migraine. It has almost gone now but that is around 33 hours since I last took it. My I BS was terrible too btw.

Having Googled it, one suggestion was that any fermented product can cause a high number of amines in the body/brain and I know for a fact that I have several genetic SNPs that would stop the enzymes that degrade many of those amines meaning I would have a higher than normal level thereby causing migraines in a susceptible individual like me.

I suppose what I have to take from this is I will give all probiotics a break for a while but I will still have small amounts of yoghurt that I make from organic soya milk and Alpro which doesn't seem to cause me any issues.

Pam