• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prevalence of Aspergillus-Derived Mycotoxins (Ochratoxin, Aflatoxin, and Gliotoxin) and Their Distribution in the Urinalysis of ME/...(Wu et al, 2022)

Prevalence of Aspergillus-Derived Mycotoxins (Ochratoxin, Aflatoxin, and Gliotoxin) and Their Distribution in the Urinalysis of ME/CFS Patients (Wu et al, 2022)

Abstract
Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a known complex, multi-organ system disorder with a sudden or subacute onset. ME/CFS occurs most commonly among women between 30 and 50 years of age. The current diagnostic criteria of ME/CFS, as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, includes: profound fatigue and post-exertional malaise (>6 mo) unrelieved by rest, persistent cognitive impairment or orthostatic intolerance, and chronic unrefreshing sleep. Despite reported associations between ME/CFS onset and exposure to infectious agents (viral, bacterial, or fungal), the pathophysiology of ME/CFS remains unknown. In this prevalence study, we investigated the rates of Aspergillus-derived toxin levels, Aflatoxin (AF), Ochratoxin A (OTA), and Gliotoxin (GT), in the urinalysis of 236 ME/CFS patients with a history of chronic exposure to mold (i.e., from water-damaged buildings). Among ME/CFS patients reporting chronic exposure to mold, we found evidence of exposure in 92.4 percent of patients, with OTA being the most prevalent mycotoxin. Mold distributions (OTA, AF, and GT) in the urinalysis all demonstrated right skewness, while the distribution of age of ME/CFS patients diagnosed showed no deviation from normality. This study aims to provide preliminary, epidemiological evidence among ME/CFS patients who were diagnosed in South Florida with a history of exposure to mycotoxins. Based on these findings, we proposed how future control studies should approach investigating the association between chronic mold exposure and the diagnosis of ME/CFS.

The study (with downloadable PDF): https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/4/2052

mariovitali

We should have this in mind : No controls

A limitation of this study was that we only recruited patients who were exposed to water-damaged buildings and those who could cover the costs of urinalysis testing through insurance or self-pay. As a result, our study provided preliminary evidence on the prevalence of various epidemiological factors (including age, gender, and mycotoxin type) affecting ME/CFS patients who were diagnosed in South Florida, without the recruitment of control groups. Future studies should look to reduce sampling bias by broadening their inclusion criteria and recruiting a larger sample size of exposed patients

Pyrrhus

mariovitali

Using a custom-made information extraction tool i submitted a query of mycotoxin-associated keywords in order to get a ranked result of medical topics related to ME/CFS research. Here are the results :

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 10.28.27.png

DAMP = "damage-associated molecular patterns" is the most highly ranked medical topic given the query

We see that detoxification is ranked highly. Of special note : Many concepts related to Liver Injury and Liver-related concepts are there as well. Liver is the most important thing when detoxification is concerned.