• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potential role of microbiome in ME/CFS

kangaSue

A new study analysing the oral and intestinal bacterial composition of a population of Italian ME/CFS patients also has an interesting angle to it in comparing the microbiota of these patients to both other relatives without ME/CFS who live with the patient, and a healthy control group.

Some of the concluding remarks were interesting too:
[ The present study reports alterations in the composition of both the fecal and salivary microbiota of CFS/ME patients, with more marked differences observed in the gut. We have confirmed the results of previous studies, and provided new information in support of the autoimmune hypothesis for CFS condition. The intestinal microbial profile we recorded in CFS/ME patients is indeed consistent with that reported for other autoimmune conditions, such as Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis and Systemic Lupus Erythematous.]

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-86425-6.pdf
Potential role of the microbiome in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME)

hapl808

Sure would be nice if someone did an FMT trial on patients with these characteristics.

Maybe in fifty years they'll finally study it and find out the right $5 procedure could've cured us all. But don't worry, the researchers will find plenty of funding to re-study whatever label CBT is masquerading under in the meanwhile.

Learner1

Maybe in fifty years they'll finally study it and find out the right $5 procedure could've cured us all. But don't worry, the researchers will find plenty of funding to re-study whatever label CBT is masquerading under in the meanwhile.
I think they could do it a bit faster.

Wishful

I think they could do it a bit faster.

They could do it faster, but that would bring the whole fundraising and pointless research to an end; lots of money involved. Personally, I think they should solve the problem of ME quickly, and the fundraisers and useless researchers can find some other project that people aren't suffering over.

The intestinal microbial profile we recorded in CFS/ME patients is indeed consistent with that reported for other autoimmune conditions, such as Crohn’s disease, Ulcerative Colitis and Systemic Lupus Erythematous.]

Cause or effect? The article doesn't seem to offer any evidence either way.

hapl808

They could do it faster, but that would bring the whole fundraising and pointless research to an end; lots of money involved. Personally, I think they should solve the problem of ME quickly, and the fundraisers and useless researchers can find some other project that people aren't suffering over.

Yep, they absolutely could do it faster. But will they? I highly doubt it, but of course want to be proven wrong.