• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW NEEDED NEUROIMAGING PROJECTS

Emily Taylor

POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW NEEDED NEUROIMAGING PROJECTS
DECEMBER 9, 2019 / KARMAN KREGLOE / UNCATEGORIZED
https://solvecfs.org/postdoctoral-fellow-wanted-for-dr-jarred-younger-neuroimaging-projects/

Human Neuroimaging Postdoctoral Fellow

Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue Laboratory

University of Alabama at Birmingham

A postdoctoral fellowship position has become available to work on funded ME/CFS neuroimaging projects with Dr. Jarred Younger at the Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue Laboratory; University of Alabama at Birmingham.

Position Summary:
The Neuroinflammation, Pain and Fatigue Laboratory, under the direction of Dr. Jarred Younger, is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to manage human neuroimaging projects in chronic disease patients. The projects are funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Department of Defense (DoD), as well as non-profit institutions. Both magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET) projects are involved, though candidates do not need prior experience with PET.

The Fellow will be chiefly responsible for ensuring that the neuroimaging projects are conducted with the highest scientific and ethical rigor. Examples of duties include: supervising data acquisition at the 3 Tesla scanner, overseeing MRI data analysis, writing scientific manuscripts, leading neuroimaging research teams, and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students. The Fellow will also have the opportunity to pursue his or her own pilot projects, and apply for extramural training or project funding.

The position is for one year initially, with two additional years contingent on satisfactory performance.

Minimum Requirements
An advanced research or clinical degree is required for this position. Individuals may have a PhD in Psychology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, or related fields. Individuals with an MD, DO, ND, or other clinical degree are also eligible to apply if they have significant research experience. Candidates must have experience with human brain MRI studies and a high comfort level with at least one of the major MRI analytic software packages. Most of the MRI work will focus on MR multi-voxel spectroscopy using already-established pipelines.

Other Requirements
Applicants should be comfortable interacting with patient populations on the phone and in-person, as well as working with and leading scientific teams. Possession of unique statistical and data-analytic techniques (e.g., machine learning, analysis of longitudinal data, linear mixed modeling, granger causality modeling) is helpful, but not required. The applicant should have strong leadership, scientific communication (written and oral), organizational, and team-building skills.

About the lab:
We focus on developing new diagnostic techniques and treatments for chronic diseases of the central nervous system. Our primary laboratory techniques include clinical trials of pharmaceutical and botanical treatments, observational analyses of inflammatory disease mediators, experimental immune provocations with endotoxin and other agents, and neuroimaging (MRI and PET). We emphasize the exploration of inflammatory and neuroinflammatory causes of chronic diseases such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. More information about the laboratory can be found at:

YouTube: https://goo.gl/S1wFyg

Facebook: https://goo.gl/VyDTQE

To Apply:

Questions about the position can be forwarded to: youngerlab@uab.edu

To submit an application for the position, please submit a CV and statement of interest to youngerlab@uab.edu

UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work/life balance irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from individuals with disabilities and veterans.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Sadly I am not a postdoc (nor am I already healthy).

Also I am a philospher and carpenter (working half the year, he ;)), so I have a philospher-carpenter BRAIN theory which provides me now with an incredible improvement (after only very small steps for years).

So, the theory is that geometrical macro actions of metals in the basal ganglia and thalamus have been disturbed by triggers. Could this be shown in a PET?? Hardly, it should be possible for manganism e.g..

An unconventional idea, and the cure is rather about putting up a strucuture,
mainly to give the metals not together - avoiding a metal is without such a problem, of course.

If you ever read this @Emily Taylor - many regards, regardless of my strange but possibly true theory.

Emily Taylor

Sadly I am not a postdoc (nor am I already healthy).

Also I am a philospher and carpenter (working half the year, he ;)), so I have a philospher-carpenter BRAIN theory which provides me now with an incredible improvement (after only very small steps for years).

So, the theory is that geometrical macro actions of metals in the basal ganglia and thalamus have been disturbed by triggers. Could this be shown in a PET?? Hardly, it should be possible for manganism e.g..

An unconventional idea, and the cure is rather about putting up a strucuture,
mainly to give the metals not together - avoiding a metal is without such a problem, of course.

If you ever read this @Emily Taylor - many regards, regardless of my strange but possibly true theory.

Hey Percyval577 - thanks for sharing! I'll be honest, I had to google "basal ganglia" - I think your theory is beyond my limited scientific knowledge! But, I have shared it with our research team - I'll report back with their response.