• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible ME/CFS - lingering symptoms for years but now sudden unbearable fatigue - What to do?

Replenished

I had been doing quite a bit better energy wise with what seemed to be improvements from taking digestive/pancreatic enzymes and bile salts to support digestion. My stools have darkened from their usual clay colour but still float, so I see that as an improvement but still appears to be some sort of issue with fat absorption. This may also go along with the recent Metabolomix test I had which shows my fatty acids are low. Especially Omega 3 & 6. Yet my cholesterol remains high, so I'm thinking I may have cholestasis which is contributing to this.

Aside from that, the main reason for todays update is, I've come down with Covid, for the second time. Must assume it's Omicron this time. Never helpful on top of everything else, but it is what it is. I'm on day 6 now and most of the obvious cold/flu like symptoms have subsided but I am extremely fatigued on any exertion. Day 1 off the virus came on very suddenly on Tuesday evening, started with a tickly cough then felt like full on flu overnight and into Wednesday. Wednesday and Thursday it started to feel more like a cold with an extremely sore throat. Friday things began to settle. Saturday I felt ok, on the mend, but then in the evening I was feeling lightheaded and my vision was snowy/strange. Night sweats and a lot of anxiety during the night. And today (Sunday), my vision was still off this morning but has settled back to near normal now as I write this before going to sleep. Fatigue remains (viral fatigue not the general fatigue I get), a small cough lingers and generally not feeling normal yet but mostly out of the worst viral symptoms it seems.

I hope it will clear quickly and I can continue with recovery where I left off, as I felt I was getting somewhere.

Hey man, just curious did you still have those "depletion" problems? I recently posted about it, it feels like my ME/CFS PEM is a lot worse than before, but I am thinking is it really worsened PEM because after every meal I feel better for like an hour or two.

My blood tests are usually normal except always high bilirubin (probably Gilbert's syndrome), high histamine and some viruses like HHV6 where I have both Igm and Igg high.

My stools are "sticky" let's say, don't have a better term for it.

Please see my recent post if you have time, because this seems to be similar case as yours. I would love to get some advice from you! Thank you!

Rufous McKinney

Should I just rest as much as possible right now?
yes: sadly, that seems to be one of the few routes that eventually will yield feeling a little better.

How much better, depends.

I've experienced the severe depletion you describe, and improved since then. (or, symptoms shifted to less of that and more of something else or another)

I've gone 3-4 months at a time, in some form of recovering from being Overdone. Then, a bit of improvement seems to show up after major amounts of doing as little as I can possibly pull off.

I see this 3-4 month pattern to pull out of a big ditch, rather often.