• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Positive coxsackie virus neutralization test

ChookityPop

enterovirus positive test.jpg

I havent gone down the enterovirus rabbit hole yet. What does this say? I obviously have antibodies for Coxsackievirus B3 and B5. But they seem low?

Tested through https://www.kgu.de/

Ive understood that I should retest after maybe 2-3 months to monitor the titers.

Last edited:

Hip

Yes, your CVB3 and B5 antibody levels seem low.

In the ARUP lab CVB antibody tests, Dr John Chia says titers of 1:160 to 1:320 and higher indicate chronic active infection.

Enteroviruses linked to ME/CFS also include echovirus. Dr Chia observes that the coxsackievirus B and echovirus serotypes most often found in ME/CFS are:

• CVB3 and CVB4 first and foremost
• Then CVB2, EV6, EV7 and EV9
• And then much less EV11

Ref: 1

Which lab performed your test?

ChookityPop

Yes, your CVB3 and B5 antibody levels seem low.

In the ARUP lab CVB antibody tests, Dr John Chia says titers of 1:160 to 1:320 and higher indicate chronic active infection.

Enteroviruses linked to ME/CFS also include echovirus. Dr Chia observes that the coxsackievirus B and echovirus serotypes most often found in ME/CFS are:

• CVB3 and CVB4 first and foremost
• Then CVB2, EV6, EV7 and EV9
• And then much less EV11

Ref: 1

Which lab performed your test?

Thanks for the feedback. So that basically means I will have to look elsewhere? Or could those low levels contribute to my illness in some way? Echoviruses are on my to do list.

I tested through Universitätsklinikums Frankfurt. thanks to your road map, appreciate it.

Hip

Thanks for the feedback. So that basically means I will have to look elsewhere? Or could those low levels contribute to my illness in some way? Echoviruses are on my to do list.

Usually the reason ME/CFS doctors test for viruses is because there may be treatment opportunities. So in the case of high enterovirus antibodies, Dr Chia may treat with oxymatrine, Epivir or tenofovir.

But I don't think Dr Chia will treat for enterovirus if antibody levels are low.

So the other viruses linked to ME/CFS include EBV, CMV, HHV-6, parvovirus and also the bacterium Chlamydia pneumoniae. These have their own treatment opportunities.

I expect in the future ME/CFS doctors will also be testing for coronavirus, as this now appears to sometimes cause ME/CFS, or at least and ME/CFS-like condition (long COVID).