• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll on magnesium

How does magnesium affect you?

• Total voters

Sarah94

How does magnesium (any form - oral, transdermal, injection, nebulised) affect you?

If you have tried magnesium multiple times and had different results, then you can check more than one option on the poll.

Sarah94

I ticked greatly worsened (although the degree of worseness is dose dependent). I found it made my cognition a lot worse and my light sensitivity a bit worse. This was the result with both magnesium sulphate and magnesium chloride.

I do still take a small amount of oral magnesium citrate, this does make my cognition a bit worse but it improves my sleep quality so I consider it worth it.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Magnesium (glycinated) hugely improved anxiety, panic attacks, racing heart, tight chest, palpitations, muscle cramping, and even depression to a degree.

It somewhat improved insomnia, muscle & joint pain, spastic marionette muscle spasms, and reduced length and degree of PEM, tho not dependably. If I've really overdone it, it has only very slight effect.

Sarah94

Magnesium (glycinated) hugely improved anxiety, panic attacks, racing heart, tight chest, palpitations, muscle cramping, and even depression to a degree.

It somewhat improved insomnia, muscle & joint pain, spastic marionette muscle spasms, and reduced length and degree of PEM, tho not dependably. If I've really overdone it, it has only very slight effect.
Thanks, please vote in the poll though, it's going to really confuse things if people are commenting but not voting.

Hip

No difference AND greatly improved

Looks like @Sarah94 may want to switch off the option of "Multiple votes are allowed". In this particular poll, you only need one vote.

I voted "no difference" as transdermal magnesium had no noticeable effect on my ME/CFS symptoms, but did have some anti-anxiety effects, which I suspect are due to the fact magnesium blocks the NMDA receptors.

pamojja

In this particular poll, you only need one vote.

I think the orginal question is too wide, to allow for a truthful one vote only.
How does magnesium (any form - oral, transdermal, injection, nebulised) affect you?

If you have tried magnesium multiple times and had different results, then you can check more than one option on the poll.

In my case for example with severe magnesium deficiency and very pain-full muscle-cramps any oral magnesium form alleviated it only somwhat (tried all of them for 8 years), almost monthly Mg-sulfate infusions after its sixth ceased them completely.

waif

kal's magnesium glycinate 800 mg a day..i've taken 1g but i dont need that anymore. it's pretty intense.

i had a SEVERE magnesium deficiency (.5) the range is like...1.5-2.2
and it changed my life. I also have EDS though. my body was burning uncomfortably all the time, panicky, never slept, insulin resistance.

i still get all of these things but much much less severe. i was literally lying on icebags.

i will say tho, ive taken too much and it's scary. you feel like you're going to stop breathing/low bp.

if you're really worried about your magnesium levels get your RBC magnesium tested first before taking higher doses.

*also i should add i'm not into supplements generally. this is a must though

Moof

I voted 'somewhat worsened' because I've found that magnesium supplements cause RLS. I've never been able to take it for long enough to understand whether or not it impacts on my ME more generally.

Archie

It taked time to feel better with magnesium, it may be becouse magnesium is critical nutrient for detoxification , so once start loading magnesium it may displace toxic pollutants in cells and any mobilized toxin in the blood make feel worse which is easy to interpret that magnesium cause worsening even if the reason is not magnesium but toxins .

@Sashabear , if you have the energy, please could you explain in what way magnesium made you greatly worse?

I’ve taken magnesium multiple times in different forms and have had generally the same reaction. After a couple doses I start experiencing anxiety, facial flushing, tachycardia, diarrhea and insomnia. I do have sensitivities to many things but magnesium does something particularity horrible with me.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Sarah94
Thanks, please vote in the poll though, it's going to really confuse things if people are commenting but not voting.
I did. Early on. I was the first vote for 'Greatly Improved'. I also voted 'Slightly Improved'. My post will explain why. It's #5 on this page. Three of the first 5 posts (#1, 2, 3) are yours.

I'm baffled by why my votes didn;t show up in the tally. I've been having problems with this site since the 2nd update, and I'm really beginning to lose patience. On days when I'm not doing too well, I generally clock out pretty quickly if the site is misbehaving or forcing me to shut down and reopen more than once. I just can;t take the constant frustration.

What;s even more difficult is that some days the site behaves normally, so there's no way I can figure this out. easily

Last edited:

sb4

When I have been able to get "high" levels of Mg absorbtion through DMSO and Nebulizer I felt very off, dizzy, POTS acting up, almost like I had been poisoned. I originally thought it was DMSO but I have since done DMSO without Mg and found no reaction. I presume its effects on NMDA receptors where messing with POTS or maybe temporarily high blood levels where causing issues.