• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLL: Low Dose Abilify Tolerance / Poop Out

If you benefitted from Abilify, did the benefits continue or did they wear off?

• Abilify’s benefits have continued so far (been on 2-4 months)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hoosierfans

@jaybee00 i don’t think I know your story with Abilify? Can you share?

@mitoMAN so excited that it’s continuing to work for you! I know you’ve tapered up quite slowly because of the long half life. Are you still taking it every day?

GlassCannonLife

Is it possible for those of you that answered the poll to update your situations re poop-out? I believe it's been quite some time since the first responses would have been made and it'd be great to see an updated picture.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
so it poops out for 60%?

But there are some people in the FB group who have had it work for them for several years. (I read this week of one who is still having it work 2 years later and another 4 years later.

Although the first one said she failed to initially heed Dr Bonilla's advice not to push for the first 2-3 months (I think he tells them to live like they're still bedbound and severe in spite of feeling like they're well). She said she messed herself up.

When she paused (for 6 months?), tried again and followed that advice the 2nd time, fortunately, it started working again and has continued to for 2 years. Some people never seem to get it to start working again.

If you can, try to join the group there.

Last edited:

Jackb23

But there are some people in the FB group who have had it work for them for several years. (I read this week of one who is still having it work 2 years later and another 4 years later.

Although the first one said she failed to initially heed Dr Bonilla's advice not to push for the first 2-3 months (I think he tells them to live like they're still bedbound and severe in spite of feeling like they're well). She said she messed herself up.

When she paused (for 6 months?), tried again and followed that advice the 2nd time, fortunately, it started working again and has continued to for 2 years. Some people never seem to get it to start working again.

If you can, try to join the group there.
Ok, I will. I need it mostly for anhedonia. The Zoloft has taken care of my crashes (I no longer feel sick after exertion, I just have absolutely no interest in things).

Dude

I stopped after 2 Months but had great benefits. The initial benefit vanished a little. But overall, it took me to a another level. I can work part time again, which is a huge win. Worth a shoot. I maybe try wellbutrin as i believe, there might be a problem with dopamine.

Jackb23

I stopped after 2 Months but had great benefits. The initial benefit vanished a little. But overall, it took me to a another level. I can work part time again, which is a huge win. Worth a shoot. I maybe try wellbutrin as i believe, there might be a problem with dopamine.
Why'd you stop?

Interestingly, wellbutrin isnt that much of a dopamine enhancer. In fact, in some studies, they have found Zoloft to inhibit DAT more than Wellbutrin.

Dude

@Jackb23 my supply was running out, but my health stayed the same. So I didn't order anything new. My doctor said if LDA helped, Wellbutrin could probably help too. Here in the forum there are also entries from people who have had good experiences with it. I haven't really dealt with the topic yet.

Jackb23

@Jackb23 my supply was running out, but my health stayed the same. So I didn't order anything new. My doctor said if LDA helped, Wellbutrin could probably help too. Here in the forum there are also entries from people who have had good experiences with it. I haven't really dealt with the topic yet.
I took it for many, many years and for me personally it helped a good bit.

Jackb23

I don’t know why, but sertraline helped me even more than wellbutrin. SSRIs have an antiviral effect and also inhibit many pro inflammatory cytokines. I believe sertraline inhibits tnf-a and il-1b.

These two drugs in tandem greatly benefited me for many years. I don’t think that me/cfs is depression by any many, but a lot of psych drugs modulate neuroinflammation and the immune system and I have always looked there for help.