• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Podcast: Medical Error Interviews

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I didn't climb the Kilimanjaro :) but I loved hiking in the mountains (below 6h I would have been unhappy and frustrated). I like how Lisa compares the health system to a crazily hard mountain; I compare it with a jungle. I somehow have to struggle through. I learned not give up during my PhD studies where it was normal to see no results. Every PhD student has to deal with this frustration and keep on, or won't finish (which is ok; it's not like "turning back" is a bad decision. It's often reasonable given the circumstances - something I learned from hiking).

Thanks Scott for another interesting interview.

Thanks Inara - sort of like 'what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger'.

I have a good friend (also a counsellor) and he said one of the things that helped him deal all the trauma he's hear in counselling sessions was an off-handed remark I made about him needing to HTFU - a triathlon training mantra that is an acronym for Harden The Fuck Up: 'yeah its gonna be hard, yeah its gonna hurt, suck it up'.

Climbing mountains, trudging through PhDs and jungles, racing triathlons...living with ME in our health care systems...all require us to HTFU.

ScottTriGuy

Hello folks,

Here are 2 recent podcast interviews relevant to our community:

One with activist and author Varda Burstyn, who is living with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity:

https://medicalerrorinterviews.podbean.com/mf/play/p97edr/Varda_Burstyn_interview_audio_.mp3

The other is with Norwegian Andrea Vedeler @Andypants who has to make a choice between living in a work place 'rehab' institution for a month that will make her even sicker, or...

Live - while very sick and disabled - for a year or more without any income.

https://medicalerrorinterviews.podbean.com/mf/play/w63xqx/Andrea_Vedeler_interview_audio_.mp3

ScottTriGuy

Stacey has ME...

Double hit.

Journalist and mother of two Stacey Roy has been permanently injured by a medication that makes her disabling sensitive to smell, taste, light and sounds.

That makes being a Mom much harder.

Stacey also has a complex disease but even when she's in medical distress, she "refuses to go to the ER to be humiliated."

Stacey has been mocked and shamed - and traumatized - by emergency room staff who are ignorant about her illness.

Stacey tells it like it is in this episode of Medical Error Interviews...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/30105443

Inara

The other is with Norwegian Andrea Vedeler @Andypants who has to make a choice between living in a work place 'rehab' institution for a month that will make her even sicker, or...

Live - while very sick and disabled - for a year or more without any income.
Well-known in Germany. Here it isn't just 1 month, though (psycho-"rehabs" go from 6-8 weeks, and pwME are viewed as psychosomatic). I hadn't had thought it's like this in Norway.

It's an unacceptable, inhumane, human rights violating situation.

ScottTriGuy

Medically gaslighted.

My interview with Lily, who has ME, and her experiences with health care and a psychiatrist who insisted her physical symptoms were merely due to psychological factors and that Lily must accept her psychosomatic diagnosis.

But Lily is no shrinking violet and sets about researching her symptoms...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/30282354

ScottTriGuy

Attachments

• Jayne Barnard headshot.jpg
    Jayne Barnard headshot.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Podcast MEI logo.jpg
    Podcast MEI logo.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

ScottTriGuy

Attachments

• Hillary Johnson head shot - small.jpg
    Hillary Johnson head shot - small.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 2

ScottTriGuy

If you have ME, you've probably heard of Erik Johnson - he holds a unique position in the history of 'chronic fatigue syndrome'.

From his front row seat, Erik tells how egos, fear and profit-over-people has created the "greatest medical error in their history".

Here is part 1 of my interview with Erik Johnson, Mold Warrior...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/31939409

Erik - old newspaper article.jpg

Attachments

• Erik headshot - Tahoe rim Trail 1.JPG
    Erik headshot - Tahoe rim Trail 1.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 3

frozenborderline

If you have ME, you've probably heard of Erik Johnson - he holds a unique position in the history of 'chronic fatigue syndrome'.

From his front row seat, Erik tells how egos, fear and profit-over-people has created the "greatest medical error in their history".

Here is part 1 of my interview with Erik Johnson, Mold Warrior...

https://www.patreon.com/posts/31939409

View attachment 35549
Happy you did this interview, Scott. I do think the outbreaks and the enviromental component of this illness are underlooked and indeed the neglect constitutes medical error on a large scale

ScottTriGuy

For me--the fact that you interviewed Jeff, Hillary and Erik, sort of covers a lot of ground intimate to me--as someone who got CCI after mold exposure and infection...

These folks have walked the walk and given much of themselves for the community, time and again - it is an honour to support getting their messages out.

ScottTriGuy