• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Plastic teabags release microscopic particles into tea

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I already avoid plastic tea bags because they just seemed like a bad idea since many plastics deteriorate quite easily and any plastic used in a teabag isn't likely to be very durable since it's a single use item. I don't want plastic in my tea.

This quote from the article is interesting:
Using electron microscopy, the team found that a single plastic teabag at brewing temperature released about 11.6 billion microplastic and 3.1 billion nanoplastic particles into the water.

These levels were thousands of times higher than those reported previously in other foods.

antares4141

I already avoid plastic tea bags because they just seemed like a bad idea since many plastics deteriorate quite easily and any plastic used in a teabag isn't likely to be very durable since it's a single use item. I don't want plastic in my tea.

This quote from the article is interesting:
That is interesting, I must have missed that.