• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Planning to do a home FMT

So at this point i am sure that i will do a home FMT. I am just not 100% conviced about the "best" procedure and pre-treatment.

Status of now:

- calprotectin in stool: 430 µg / g (values greater than 200 show active inflammation)
- NO IBD, i can say this for 100%. Had my complete gastrointestinal digestion system checked via endoscopy, coloscopy and video capsule for small bowel. Also biopsy was tested. --> no signs of inflammation with imaging
- No diareeah --> another point that excludes an IBD
- High calprotectin can also occur with carzinomes, but that is something that would have be definately detected with the imaging (coloscoy, video capsule).
- Have done a stool DNA test for differnt kind of bacteria, this showed overgrowth with bacteria strains that are pro-inflammatory
- Things i already tried, but did not help: High amounts of L-Glutamine, different kind of probiotics, different kind of prebiotics, SCD Diet for 3 months, gluten free diet.
- As no doc can help me and everything else failed, my next step will be a Home FMT as it seems a safe procedure with a healthy donor

In order to increase the chance fo success for the FMT, i want to make my "status" as good as possible before that

Questions for FMT:
- I am thinking about a pre-treatment with antibiotics in the days before FMT to reduce bacterial load in the gut.
What do you think about that?

- When taking this antibiotics, i see often it is recommended taking something additionally which breaks the biofilm. Is it a Good idea and do you Know Substances for Breaking biofilm?

- Also it seems like high initial calprotectin will reduce the success rate of FMTs (Maybe because of antimicrobal effects of calprotectin). Thats why i am thinking about lowering the calprotectin value before FMT.
Possible options: L-Glutamin orally + enema, BPC-157, TB-500
Whats your opinion?

- How often should FMT be repeated for best outcome (i was thinking about 10 times in 2 weeks?)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hufsamor

I don't know the answer to your questions ,
but as I was looking into this a couple of years ago, I know about a Facebook group...
Would you like me to find it for you?
I guess you might get some answers there, if you don't get any here?

Moof

Home FMT is very risky, as neither you nor the donor have any idea what organisms you are transferring, or what effect they could have on you. You might be transplanting from a healthy donor whose gut can cope with the pathogens they're carrying, but can you? How do you know they don't have HIV, hepatitis, or carry organisms associated with devastating long-term conditions such as Parkinson's, MS, or dementia?

There's little evidence to suggest it's even potentially useful in anything except severe c. difficile infections, and as these are life-threatening, the risk/benefit calculation is different. There's a lot of hype about this online, but it's not the same as real science. I'd really encourage you to talk to a gastroenterologist before you go ahead.

@Moof :
Your Points are legit. I did a lot of online research for that Topic and in general if a Donor is Healthy and if yourself are Not immunocomprommised There seems to be very little risk with FMT.
Of course i will do Donor stool testing for Potential pathogens.
I was at different gastroenterologist they can Not explain it and say it is IBS. obviously calprotectin was rising the last years to 400 now, what speaks against IBS.

I will do the FMT because thats where i See my Route cause of Problems and the option to receive Improvement of my symptomps

ljimbo423

I will do the FMT because thats where i See my Route cause of Problems and the option to receive Improvement of my symptomps

I have learned the same thing. The route cause of my symptoms is severe dysbiosis, found through testing and possibly increased intestinal permeability or "leaky gut' from the dysbiosis.

This is causing immune system upregulation, mito. dysfunction and low grade brain inflammation and all my symptoms.

I am having slow but very good progress with a low carb diet, prebiotics, probiotics and high doses of antibacterial herbs.

I wish you the best of luck with the FMT!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Commenting to follow,

Also I have been looking to do the same in the UK.

I have the support of a Prof of Gastroenterology. However I may end up at Taymount clinic because finding a very healthy and willing donor is quite hard.

Anyone in the UK looking at this give me a shout, I just made this post:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...healthiest-donors-for-database-project.77890/

also this whole subreddit should be interesting for you, not just the linked post: