• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Physical Therapy for Vertigo and Imbalance

*GG*

Trying to find effective treatment for chronic, persistent dizziness -- or vertigo -- is enough to make your head spin! Now, heres some surprising news -- the person who can help you live more comfortably with your chronic balance disorder is not a doctor or even a pharmacist, but a physical therapist.

Feeling like you are living on a merry-go-round is more common than you might guess -- dizziness affects more than 2.4 million Americans. While inflammation or damage to the vestibular nerve or head trauma are frequent causes, the most common by far is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV)....

Read more here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using a balance ball and trying to wobble my head about more as I move arround.

My vertigo seems linked to migraines though, and came on very suddenly. Not sure if this is as likely to respond to graded wobble-cise.

moblet

Unknown Quantity
Cranial osteopathy (a physical therapy) has been treating this kind of thing for decades. It's not a new discovery, it's just new to the medical establishment. It can be triggered by almost any kind of trauma - physical (including surgery), chemical (including anaesthetic and other pharmaceuticals), biological, emotional, you name it, hits the central nervous system, and via the meninges and the fasciae it can affect the entire body. It seems to be the critical process in my fibro and it's clear to me that it's the underlying problem in some percentage of CFS/fibro cases, but until the research is integrated who knows whether that figure is 5% or 80%...
http://www.cranialacademy.org/
http://www.osteodoc.com/sutherland.htm