• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PhD thesis by Bath, UK Occupational Therapist on Men with ME/CFS

Roy S

former DC ME/CFS lobbyist
7.2 Conclusion summary

The experiences of men with CFS/ME were acknowledged as under-reported in the academic literature and were therefore, specifically explored in this study. New understandings of the meaning of living with CFS/ME were identified. These included difficulties with living with an illness of unknown origin and uncertain prognosis which impacted upon how the men were treated by health practitioners and others. The contentious nature of CFS/ME negatively influenced their ‘being-in-the-world’ as illness experiences were trivialised, disrupting their occupations and their sense of self. The importance of health professionals entering into a genuine dialogue with the men is advocated to demonstrate an acceptance of their illness. Through shared dialogue and rapport development, access to beliefs, values, fears and expectations of living with and beyond CFS/ME, considered as ‘chaotic-being’, can be understood. Through attending to their ‘being’ as a priority, then their ‘doing’, subjective notions of ‘belonging’, ‘becoming’, ‘survival’ and ‘health’ may also be understood. By understanding these issues occupational therapists may assist with restoration and discovery of new and meaningful ‘doing’ or occupations. This may be achieved by assisting the men with adapting their occupations and the use of pacing strategies. As a consequence, a move from ‘chaotic-being’ or illness, towards ‘harmonious-being’ or health may then be achieved for men with CFS/ME.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I tried to c&p the conclusion to place here as a quote, but it was not successful.

Conclusion
Occupational therapists need to explore how men’s ‘being-in-the-world’ is disrupted due to
the presence of CFS/ME, in order to better understand their ‘doing/occupations’. By
entering into the therapeutic relationship at this point, an understanding of ‘disrupted-
belonging and becoming’ may also be achieved, enabling truly client-centred practice to
be provided and support men’s survival and health.

msf

Sorry, most doctors aren't smart enough to understand ME, so occupational therapists, even if well meaning, are going to struggle. This isn't to demean OTs, they have more patience and sympathy than most doctors I am sure, but ME is not a disease that most people are well equipped to understand, unfortunately. It requires you to understand basic biochemistry, have a logical and open mind, AND be interested/believe in patients, which is a bar that, as I suggested, is too high for most doctors, never mind other medical professionals.