• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pharmaceutical Executive - The Race is on!

R

Robin

Thanks, that was fascinating!

I was following the stock market when Lyrica came out -- I had no idea how keenly investors follow pharmaceuticals, research and diseases. That can be good and bad, obviously. However, there was debate about whether or not fibro is "real" and therefore needed treatment. A very scathing Associated Press article said it was not and snorted that funding for research should go elsewhere. However, the investors didn't care! The idea being that pain is pain and if there is a successful clinical trial that offers treatment, they're all for it. I kind of love that and hope that, like the article suggests, Big Pharma turns its giant head our way.

It was also interesting about the prevalence of cancer in the WPI study. I know this has been posted elsewhere on the forum but it bears repeating.

Given the great diversity in CFS symptoms, disclosure of the medical histories and clinical conditions of the high number of WPI's XMRV-infected CFS patients is critical. "Of course, this would generate more questions, but a cleaner association is needed," Vernon says. "I don't know why WPI won't provide this."

So far, Mikovits has refused to budge. "No additional medical histories or anything about the patient population would shed any light on XMRV," she says.

Sleuthing on her own, Vernon was able to uncover some suggestive information about the 32 CFS patient samples about which WPI originally reported assay results. Only 12 tested positive on more than one assay (WPI ran four assays); of those 12, four had been diagnosed with cancer. Another 13 of the total 67 XMRV-positive CFS samples also had cancer.

Also, Coffin weighs in on some of the other studies:

"Validation and confirmation are not coming as fast as one might like, that's for sure," says John Coffin. "If you can't establish a disease association, then there is less interest in developing a drug, obviously." Coffin also notes that uncertainty remains about whether or not the virus is replicating. "If it does so, like HIV, then an antiretroviral would be very effective. But if not, as it appears in prostate cancer, a drug would not make any difference."

Wow! How the hell would they treat it, then?

VillageLife

If they can't Treat it, we're doomed but at this time just knowing what's wrong with me is equally important as treating it.
What worried me most about this artical was the part about one year is likely for the blood groups work to be done. Let's pray that's one year from October when the study was out. Not one year from now!

VillageLife

I don't think they can keep all those bed bound people like this another year. It's not acceptable if there quite sure it's xmrv. They must tell us for the sake of the very sick cfs sufferers. Who can't even feed them selves. That's a public emergency!

Esther12

You don't get many articles like that - one that's honest about the uncertainty surrounding CFS. Great stuff.

Interesting article in a very interesting publication. I am proud of Cort and this Forum. It was interesting to learn that pharmaceutical company researchers find far less XMRV in the general population than WIP did. I'd like to curse in frustration for about 10 minutes, but I guess I won't (not tonight). :D So I will just be thankful that pharmaceutical companies are starting to pay attention.

I have two friends with ME/CFS within a few miles of me. Both have cancer. One of the two has a rare type of cancer of the small intestine that produces a lot of hormones. The other has breast cancer. The husband of one of the two also had a rare type of cancer. Just anecdotal I know, but the anecdotes can grow into statistics.

I agree, Villagelife, we have waited long enough!!! Decades! How much longer are we going to have to wait?!!

:wheelchair::In bed::Sign Help::eek::Sign Please::eek: