• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Personal Observations on Modified FODMaP Diet

Hello everyone,

I'd like to share some observations from my personal experience with the FODMaP diet.

While following the FODMaP guidelines, I noticed the importance of eliminating all yeast-based products, such as aged cheese (specifically yeast-fermented), Saccharomyces Boulardii, and the like, as they triggered acute autoimmune reactions for me.

Although certain FODMaP-friendly foods, like dark chocolate and strawberries (including jam), seemed to be okay in terms of digestion, I still experienced a slight decline in my overall well-being after consuming them. Consequently, I decided to eliminate these foods as well.

Another dietary adjustment I had to make involved corn and corn-based products, which I also removed from my diet.

Now, I follow a modified FODMaP plan that excludes yeast-based foods, sugar, and fruits. I've been feeling better consistently for the third week now.

I hope sharing my experience might be helpful for someone else in this community.

P.S. This text was proofread and enhanced by an AI language model (GPT) to ensure clarity and readability.

:)

cheeseater

Corn product intolerance is vastly under reported. Main symptoms are GI related. I figured out I was corn product intolerant 40 years ago. Some of the worst GI problems you can imagine. Tricky part of having an inability to digest corn products is that it can take up to two days from ingestion for the symptoms to show up, which makes it difficult to figure out which food is causing the problem.

Corn, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, dextrose, corn starch/flour etc. If an ingredient label does not specify the source of a starch, or source of a flour, or source of fructose, or source of malt, etc etc then assume it is corn sourced.

LINE

I have heard reports of G M O corn causing great problems. Organic corn products are tolerable for me.

I have also read of people with celiac that obviously cannot tolerate gluten but can eat it without problems if organic. European wheat seems not to be a problem due to old world processing.

I would suspect that all this modern processing is a big problem in the microbiota.

keepswimming

I am on a modified fodmap diet as well as being intolerant to corn and gluten. I also avoid foods high in sugar as it triggers candida, and chocolate which triggers migraines. It's restrictive but my digestion is the best it's been in years, and my resting heart rate has dropped since cutting out the gluten/corn. Unfortunately it hasn't made a noticeable difference to my energy levels - although if I eat gluten or corn now I get extreme tiredness along with other symptoms. I'm definitely healthier overall for it though.

keepswimming

Corn product intolerance is vastly under reported. Main symptoms are GI related. I figured out I was corn product intolerant 40 years ago. Some of the worst GI problems you can imagine. Tricky part of having an inability to digest corn products is that it can take up to two days from ingestion for the symptoms to show up, which makes it difficult to figure out which food is causing the problem.

Corn, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, dextrose, corn starch/flour etc. If an ingredient label does not specify the source of a starch, or source of a flour, or source of fructose, or source of malt, etc etc then assume it is corn sourced.

I react to corn and gluten in exactly the same way, I've read that the protein zein in corn is similar to gluten and in some people it can cause the same reaction, I believe that's the case with me. I'm not coeliac but if I eat much gluten or corn I feel very unwell, GI symptoms but it also feels like an immune reaction (sore throat, flu like, exhaustion). It takes many weeks to months to recover.