• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Personal experiences with stablon/tianeptine?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Its classed as an antidepressant and instead of being a serotonin reuptake inhibitor it is a serotonin reuptake enhancer.
Suppose to have good calming properties without feeling sedated, good for pain and good for depression.
What interested me was that i have read a few things saying it is neuroprotective. supposedly alot less side effects compared to ssri's etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stablon
Anyone share their personal experiences or maybe if someone has some good links to info on this.

cheers!!!

beaverfury

beaverfury
Its classed as an antidepressant and instead of being a serotonin reuptake inhibitor it is a serotonin reuptake enhancer.
Suppose to have good calming properties without feeling sedated, good for pain and good for depression.
What interested me was that i have read a few things saying it is neuroprotective. supposedly alot less side effects compared to ssri's etc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stablon
Anyone share their personal experiences or maybe if someone has some good links to info on this.

cheers!!!

Hi heaps,

I'm a confirmed fan of stablon. Its like taking an AD without all the side effects. Very good for calming anxiety.
Doesnt harm my sleep or libido.
If i'm regrowing any dendrites in my hippocampus i'm not aware of it, but i hope so.

The biggest hassle with it is obtaining a cheap and reliable supply.
Magicpharma has done its magic disappearing act again! God bless them.
I sometimes use Aurapharm, but they're temporarily out of stock.

An excellent round up on stablon is by David Pearce http://www.tianeptine.com/

or try, The Good Drug Guide, informative and hilarious
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/

Ema

Hi heaps,

I'm a confirmed fan of stablon. Its like taking an AD without all the side effects. Very good for calming anxiety.
If i'm regrowing any dendrites in my hippocampus i'm not aware of it, but i hope so.

The biggest hassle with it is obtaining a cheap and relable supply.

Do you take it 3 times a day?

heapsreal

Hi heaps,

The biggest hassle with it is obtaining a cheap and relable supply.

thanks for that. yes i noticed magicpharma on 'holidays' other then there regular holidays i have found them good but these breaks they have can be a pain as they are closed for several weeks. good to have alternative places.

cheers!!!

beaverfury

beaverfury
Do you take it 3 times a day?

Hi Ema,

Yes, morning, noon and night. But i split the tablet in half and only take about 6mg in each dose.

It ends up cheaper and still does a good job for me.

At the normal dose of 37.5mg i feel it is a bit better for my cfs symptoms but leaves me a little dissasociated and not caring about people. (Only my subjective view).
I would probably prefer the 37.5mg dose but i cant afford it on top of all the other supps i buy.
(Most of which seem worthless)

heapsreal

i have read it can worsen sleep, so how well will it work on one dose in the morning, maybe a second after lunch??
what about using stablon when on tramadol, is there a risk of serotonin syndrone??
to feel nice and relaxed and not give a crap about anything, i think alot of people would be for that.
Sounds like it works straight away too, so could pop it when u need a day brightener??

beaverfury

beaverfury
i have read it can worsen sleep, so how well will it work on one dose in the morning, maybe a second after lunch??
what about using stablon when on tramadol, is there a risk of serotonin syndrone??
to feel nice and relaxed and not give a crap about anything, i think alot of people would be for that.
Sounds like it works straight away too, so could pop it when u need a day brightener??

It has a half life of 2.5 hours so must be taken three times a day to be effective. I think it is stablons long term potentiation of neuromodelling and its quick effect of downgrading glutamate receptors that makes it effective for anxiety and depression. Mainly, it protects the brain from stress responses and this has downstream benefits for depression.

Although it is often stated as an SSRE most of the research i have read on stablon shows it doesnt have any direct effect on serotonin.
Its main action seems to be modulating of glutamate at NDMA and AMPA receptors.
I doubt there is much chance of serotonin syndrome with it, but i could be wrong.
Like a good little David Pearce disciple, i have taken stablon with deprenyl, which theoretically should cause serotonin syndrome, but had no problems at all (with low dosages).

I know you have trouble with sleep,Heaps, but from my memory of what i have read (which isnt always perfect), stablon doesnt interfere with sleep architecture. Another plus for me. I sleep beautifully on it. It is not an agitating type of AD.

I have read that some take it as an instant mood brightener. It doesnt work that way for me.
I think you would have to take a handful of it to hit enough dopamine receptors.

helios

Hi HR.
Having read similar articles to you I have been trailing this drug for a couple of weeks now. I am only taking low dose so far, like 1/2 tab x 2 per day. I could say I have noticed a little more brightness mentally, but nothing conclusive. (though I have crashed health wise over the past few months) I guess I could start taking a little more now. I would have to check what coy I bought them from. I think it was MP. They were posted from India (Tynept brand from Intas). I know there is a lot of drug counterfeiting going on in Asia, so with the low dose I am taking I can't rule out that I have phoney product.
I have also read reports from users of this particular drug that it they stop taking for a while (cant remember how long some people said, but I thought a few months at least) then start it up again, that they don't get the same effect that they did before. So I guess if anyone takes this AD and likes it, that they should look a head to securing on going supply before they go without for too long.
HR, I will let you know if I notice any difference after I increase the dosage.

Ema

So I've been taking this for about a week now and I'm not too impressed yet. I'm a little more anxious, edgy and irritable and dizzy. I can't say that I've seen anything positive from it. I know they say the insomnia and weird dreams wear off quickly, but does the other stuff too? Or does this just not agree with me just like every single other AD I've ever tried?

So frustrated and bummed out right now! I had/have such high hopes for this one! Plus I have a bucket left and it was not particularly cheap!

And I am afraid to take the Flexeril with it so that is a double whammy for bad sleep.

Ema

heapsreal

Hi HR.
Having read similar articles to you I have been trailing this drug for a couple of weeks now. I am only taking low dose so far, like 1/2 tab x 2 per day. I could say I have noticed a little more brightness mentally, but nothing conclusive. (though I have crashed health wise over the past few months) I guess I could start taking a little more now. I would have to check what coy I bought them from. I think it was MP. They were posted from India (Tynept brand from Intas). I know there is a lot of drug counterfeiting going on in Asia, so with the low dose I am taking I can't rule out that I have phoney product.
I have also read reports from users of this particular drug that it they stop taking for a while (cant remember how long some people said, but I thought a few months at least) then start it up again, that they don't get the same effect that they did before. So I guess if anyone takes this AD and likes it, that they should look a head to securing on going supply before they go without for too long.
HR, I will let you know if I notice any difference after I increase the dosage.

Any more updates helios?
I have found MP quite reliable source.
I have some on hand i may try in a couple of months after i finish trialling a few other things.

helios

Very sorry no. when I started on the lyme treatment I dropped it. I was getting tired of taking so many supps plus I was losing some faith in it. I was really looking for increased motivation from it. I thought I started to get that when I increased the dose up, but over the next month I really struggled and I thought I was worse compared to earlier in the year. Being on the ABx has taken its toll on my energy levels in the past 2 months, and where I am now, when I look back to when I was on Stablon, I actually got more stuff done. It may have been helping me, more then I thought, but I was also feeling very stressed around that period, which is another factor in why I dropped it. Sorry my experience is not really comprehensive or conclusive.

Dufresne

almost there...
I got mine from brandmedicines.com. The whole package was in Russian or something, no translations.

I found it stimulated me in a way that caused a crash in my mood the next day. This is very common for me.

outdamnspot

I would have thought that Stablon would be contraindicated in CFS, since it suppresses the HPA axis? Or does some kind of homeostatic adaptation take place?

I tried it for about 2 weeks a couple of years ago and felt more panicky and stimulated, but I'm wondering if those symptoms ease with time. I'm not dying to go back on an SSRI.

xks201

I felt like i had the IQ of a gerbil on this. Not even joking. Made me more tired and dizzy. Worst drug ever.

Hip

For those who find Stablon (tianeptine) beneficial: although it is sold as a drug in online pharmacies, tianeptine is far cheaper to buy as a supplement, with no prescription required.

As a supplement, you can buy a gram of tianeptine for as little as $12. Whereas as a drug, the cost of tianeptine is around $60 for 12.5mg x 60 tablets (= 0.75 grams of tianeptine).

The following places sell tianeptine very cheaply as a supplement:
newmind.com
nootropicsdepot.com
nootrabiolabs.com
www.ceretropic.com

You can also find tianeptine powder for sale on eBay.

I recently ordered some tianeptine, in the hope it will help my ME/CFS and depression/anhedonia symptoms.

Some General Info on Tianeptine

Tianeptine (Stablon) is a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer; it has the opposite effects of a SSRI. Tianeptine is related to the drug amineptine (Survector).

Tianeptine dosage: 12.5mg swallowed whole with a glass of water, three times daily. Tianeptine has a half life of 2.5 hours so must be taken three times a day to be effective.

Tianeptine sharply reduces sickness behavior:
"Dantzer's results were dramatic. He injected rats repeatedly with the antidepressant tianeptine, before treating them with pieces of bacterial wall or IL-1 (Psychopharmacology, vol 24, p 50). The antidepressant sharply reduced the sickness behaviour created by the treatments. What's more, the rats' brains made much smaller amounts of their own IL-1, and much larger amounts of another cytokine, IL-10, which soothes inflammation." Source: here.
Remember that some researchers (like Michael VanElzakker) suggest ME/CFS symptoms arise through chronic sickness behavior, a condition driven by IL-1beta, TNF-alpha and IL-6. So a drug like tianeptine that reduces sickness behavior might ameliorate ME/CFS.

"Sustained use of tianeptine tends to normalise the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) system. Tianeptine reduces basal and stress-evoked activity of the HPA, helping its users cope in a stressful environment. " Source: www.tianeptine.com
Tianeptine increases human growth hormone secretion.

Tianeptine is also useful for IBS-D.

There do seem to be some stories of tolerance and withdrawal problems with tianeptine.

Last edited:
Tianeptine can cause or exacerbate orthostatic hypertension, maybe that is why some people feel dumber on it... even less blood to the brain. I wonder if the body would adjust with time or as the HPA axis repairs itself...

I feel Tainetine may need a serotonin based combo to go along with. I had short term pronounced mood and perception benefits but I felt bit like I was in a dreamy state and cognition still needed a serious boost. I felt slower on it at times like I would be on Zinc. The most simple things would look very beautiful though. Even just watching the pigeons at the bus stop.

frozenborderline

For those who find Stablon (tianeptine) beneficial: although it is sold as a drug in online pharmacies, tianeptine is far cheaper to buy as a supplement, with no prescription required.

As a supplement, you can buy a gram of tianeptine for as little as $12. Whereas as a drug, the cost of tianeptine is around $60 for 12.5mg x 60 tablets (= 0.75 grams of tianeptine).

The following places sell tianeptine very cheaply as a supplement:
newmind.com
nootropicsdepot.com
nootrabiolabs.com
www.ceretropic.com

You can also find tianeptine powder for sale on eBay.

I recently ordered some tianeptine, in the hope it will help my ME/CFS and depression/anhedonia symptoms.

Some General Info on Tianeptine

Tianeptine (Stablon) is a selective serotonin reuptake enhancer; it has the opposite effects of a SSRI. Tianeptine is related to the drug amineptine (Survector).

Tianeptine dosage: 12.5mg swallowed whole with a glass of water, three times daily. Tianeptine has a half life of 2.5 hours so must be taken three times a day to be effective.

Tianeptine sharply reduces sickness behavior:

Remember that some researchers (like Michael VanElzakker) suggest ME/CFS symptoms arise through chronic sickness behavior, a condition driven by IL-1beta, TNF-alpha and IL-6. So a drug like tianeptine that reduces sickness behavior might ameliorate ME/CFS.

Tianeptine increases human growth hormone secretion.

Tianeptine is also useful for IBS-D.

There do seem to be some stories of tolerance and withdrawal problems with tianeptine.
I always seem to find your posts about a new thing to try right when I am considering trying it. Tianeptine seems great , all thinggs considered. The analgesia probably wouldn’t hurt for most of us.