• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Perrin Technique on DVD

Tom

windows exterminator
perrin twists

The twists can be done standing,sitting and once you work it out even lying down.
These are slow,gentle twists with a x 10 repetition if able ---do not do too much!

Stand with feet apart arms loose by your sides. Right fingertips go to inside elbow of left arm,left fingertips to ouside right elbow, or vice-versa.
Keeping feet "planted" slowly and gently twist your trunk to the left, do'nt force the twist, then slowly twist round to the right.

10 times

next place right fingertips on left shoulder and left fingertips on right shoulder.
Keeping feet "planted" etc 10 times.

next left and right fingertips meet at the back of your neck.
Keeping feet etc 10 times.

Sitting , use a hard chair and plant your feet .

Thats all folks::D

Head combing using your finger tips.
Below your neck at the front you have two nobbly bones with a space between them. This is the target for head combing.
Using both hands comb using your fingertips from the crown of your head round under you ears to the target.
Using both hands comb the top of your head and down your face to the target.
;)

Nasal release breathing.
Two places on your nose you can try.
1 Where your nose meets your skull , press upwards with a finger on each side and breath in and out through your nose for 1 minute.

2 A bit down from the top there is a little bump on either side of your nose. Using your fingertips pull down towards the end of your nose and breath as above.

It's recommended that you do the above dailly.

Tom

Thank you so much Tom.

I believe Perrin Technique helping a subset of ME/CFS patients but not all. Because I know a patient in BK had tried it but didn’t work. So it’s important to see if the patient qualify for it or not.

There is no practitioner in US claim to do it yet. So I just do it according to the book and on-line video.
It helped alleviated sore spots in the chest but my overall illness has not changed. It did improve for a short period though (2 weeks, after sleeping improved). But I guess without address the underlying factors the overall condition won’t improve.

For my experience, don’t do the dorsal rotation exercise while in acute chest pain stage. It exacerbates the symptoms. And I found a byproduct from doing head combing using finger tips. You got less hair loss. I used to drop a bunch of hair when I washed my hair. Now not much drop down.

Sue

aquariusgirl

thank you tom! very kind.

Sue: I agree with you. I think Perrin is a sincere man and I think and hope the technique will work on lymph blockages that may be trapping toxins. But as someone who has slogged thru 3 years of methylation support and is only 30 percent better, I struggle to believe that these exercises alone will cut it for most CFS patients.

I think they need to be paired with other therapies...

Bravo to Mr Perrin for pursuing this though, esp. in a country where the establishment is so hostile to CFS/ME. Scandalous when you think of how much the Brits pay in taxes for the privilege of the NHS. SHame too. The NHS used to be something to be proud of.

I would like to clarify my previous post here. Don’t want to discourage people from pursuing Perrin Technique because of my previous post. What I meant to say is by just doing the self massage parts by myself without the help of any health practitioner the overall condition won’t improve. What I missing I guess are the manipulation from an osteopath to correct anything that’s not right and the ways to drain away the toxins like it shows in the on-line film. The Perrin Technique was developed and tested under objective scientific guideline. It has clear treatment timeframe and more cost effective compare to Neural Therapy and chelation. So for those who qualify the Perrin Technique is worth a try.

Sue

Tom

windows exterminator
Ariel,
I have my Osteopath here on the Gold Coast looking into learning the technique. I dont think my back looks like that tho.

Hi Susan and anyone else it that area,
My Osteo says that Raymond Perrin would come to your area to do Training if there are 6 or so practitioners who want to learn the technique. They could be osteopaths, chiropractors etc.
They learn the technique by working on each other ,hands on.
This would apply for other countries as well probably. The U.S , Canada etc

Tom

Sunday

Tom, thanks for this and the exercise posts. I agree it would be ideal to get an osteo to do this, but as I'm in California it'd have to be someone learning off a video, which seems less likely to be good. I'd like to try these exercises and see what they feel like, to get a hint of how it might work. I'm doing Freddd's methylation protocol, and while I have improved it is very slow. This theory makes sense to me as an adjunct, and Perrin's theory makes a lot more sense than some of the "accepted medical" theories I've read about.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I just googled on this and found The Perrin Clinic's website, which says, among other things, "[t]he novel osteopathic treatment developed by Raymond Perrin has been statistically validated in both clinical trials [...]"

Does anyone have any info on, or links to details of the trials? I'm specifically wondering how they're defining ME/CFS - this is of course a critical issue, particularly in the UK where the definition of CFS has become so broad.

Tom

windows exterminator
Sasha,

Mostly I just read the whats new page and only seldom login to post, so I loose threads often.
Trials etc were in conjunction with Salford Univercity if memory serves me well.
Re diagnosis. How is anyone diagnosed in the U.K ???? It's all a bit hit and miss and if you don't have anything else this is what you have.

I was diagnosed by a Chinese accupunturist with PVFS ( after 2 years going to doctors ) then confirmed by a neurologist as M.E 6 months later.
That was the late @90s by which time I was pretty nearly bedbound.
Not as bad as lots of others but still at the severe end enough to qualify for dla and mid range care for life.

So when I started with P.T 3.5 years ago I was virtually housebound and had rested and stored energy to make the 120 mile round trip for my first session. Saved up from my benefits for 6 weeks of treatment, reckoned I would know after 6 weeks if it was helping me.
Still going and paying 35 per time, still working for me.

Tom

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Tom - yes, I think he did those trials with Salford but couldn't find any links to the details, including the results. I just heard him mention on one of the YouTube clips that his patients were diagnosed using the Fukuda criteria "among others"! I suppose that means that they'd been diagnosed by other people and had self-referred, though that's not necessarily how he'd have selected for the trials.

I'm glad it's been working for you - I was also thinking of a six-week trial.

Tom

windows exterminator
Hi Sasha,
If you go for it remember that you can be pretty rough for a few days then OK . Sort of up and down as toxins come out.
I would recommend that you don't self treat initially especially if you are feeling rough, and I've never self treated with the back massage(arms aren't long enough).
That way you should be able to judge how things are going.
Search for therapists as they seem to charge different amounts.

Good Luck

Tom

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Sasha,
If you go for it remember that you can be pretty rough for a few days then OK . Sort of up and down as toxins come out.
I would recommend that you don't self treat initially especially if you are feeling rough, and I've never self treated with the back massage(arms aren't long enough).
That way you should be able to judge how things are going.
Search for therapists as they seem to charge different amounts.

Good Luck

Tom

Thanks, Tom - I'll make sure the practioner knows I need to take things gently! There's only one near me so I won't be able to shop around but I think it's worth the investment to give it a go.

C

Cloud

There's a page on the Perrin website to enter your area for a search of the closest PT practitioner. If not, they also have a page to leave your location info so they can contact you if they get enough interest from your area to justify training. I'm going to also ask local Natural Practitioners if they may be interested. This treatment makes good sense to me.

Tom

windows exterminator
Hi Cloud ,
Therapists don't have to be osteopaths to learn the technique , and if around 6 want to learn Perrin would fly over to do the training . { info from earlier this year , there may be others who can do training by now}. I did enquire about training via webcast etc but this is not doable as it is a hands on learing course.

For your local therapists , tell them it is repeat business not a one off . Over 50% of my Osteo's clients are people with M.E/CFS

Tom

Hi I live in Northern Ireland and struggled over to Manchester to be treated by Dr. Perrin for about a year. Then he trained several Physiotherapists and Oesteopaths here who carry out the treatment. You do feel worse before you gain any benefit from the therapy. It did help the pain and my congested glands. I think it got me on my feet again. I found that I felt really terrible after the treatment but then I was having to fly over and back to Manchester which was gruelling in itself. Raymond Perrin is a really nice man and works very hard.He genuinely cares about his patients. He is the type of person who would be very happy to talk to you on the phone if you wanted more information. I don't have treatment any more and haven't for about a year, partly because I have had to retire from work and cannot afford it. I believe it is worth trying but I think it is a helpful therapy rather than a cure. I hope this is helpful.
Jill

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, Jill, and welcome to the forums, I see it's your first post!

That's very interesting to hear about your improvement. I'm sorry you can't afford at the moment to continue wiht something that has helped. If you're able to start again at least you will be able to do it more locally! Dr Perrin does sound like a very nice man.

Hi Sasha thanks for the welcome! I have been following the xmrv posts with interest. I had the culture test at VIPdx in February this year and was very disappointed it was negative. I'm waiting for my serology results at the minute but Biolab have told me they don't expect to have any more results for a month at least. Fingers crossed! I would be interested to know if there are many people in the UK who are xmrv positive.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hi Sasha thanks for the welcome! I have been following the xmrv posts with interest. I had the culture test at VIPdx in February this year and was very disappointed it was negative. I'm waiting for my serology results at the minute but Biolab have told me they don't expect to have any more results for a month at least. Fingers crossed! I would be interested to know if there are many people in the UK who are xmrv positive.

I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted yet - maybe later! The WPI did a study of UK ME/CFS self-selected volunteers who shipped their blood over for testing and a high percentage tested positive; if the XMRV stuff pans out at all, I think this indicates that it will be just as prevalent in the UK as the US. I just tried to find a thread on the UK study for you but the search engine doesn't like short search terms like "UK"!

C

Cloud

Tom...Thanks for that info. I will bring that up with the practitioners I do speak with.

Jill....Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience too. I see it as good timing for me to add something like PT as a complimentary treatment. I agree it doesn't sound to be any kind of cure, just a great addition to the rest. I feel it would be good for me at this time because first of all, I just spent 3 years 99% immobile (that would surely gum up the lymphatic system), and also because I'm at a level of health now that it may have significant impact.