• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peppermint, sage and lemon balm leaves display potent anti-HIV-1 activity

shannah

This is not new (2008) but I don't see where it's been posted before. I knew Lemon Balm aka Melissa had potent antivrial properties but wasn't aware it was retroviral.

From Prohealth:

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15451&B2=MSGBDART

"Do Lemon Balm & Other Herbals Inhibit Herpes & HIV Replication?

Several weeks ago I bought some lemon balm to help with sleep. I'd taken preparations before which had lemon balm as part of a combo, but this time I got straight lemon balm. Well, I think I took 2 capsules in the middle of the night and maybe another one early a.m. That day I felt like I'd been hit by a truck, totally wiped out. I know lemon balm is sedating, but this was different, not just sedated. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I realized it felt similar to herx reactions I had had before. [Herxheimer reaction is flu-like fever, chills, etc. that occur when large quantities of dead bacteria, viruses, etc. are released into the bloodstream for clearance.]

So I Googled lemon balm and found that it has effect against the herpes virus, and also - and this is really amazing - HIV, which of course is a retrovirus. Here's one link: Aqueous extracts from peppermint, sage and lemon balm leaves display potent anti-HIV-1 activity by increasing virion density. - M"

http://www.retrovirology.com/content/5/1/27

LaurelW

This sounds great! So do you have any idea what dosage would be good? I can't read the whole paper because I'm too brainfogged today.

Thanks!

shannah

This sounds great! So do you have any idea what dosage would be good? I can't read the whole paper because I'm too brainfogged today.

Thanks!

Not off hand. Perhaps I'll experiment in a couple of weeks with Melissa.

sela

someone on another yahoo group said she cured herself of viruses with melissa. she grew it in her yard and made the tincture. don't know how to find it again. i do remember it taking a while, like a year or something.