Looks like they changed that final question on their Q&A sheet
This is the last question on my copy (was with my results)
Q: Is there a serological test available at this time
A: We are currently developing a serological test and this test will be added to our existing test without any charge and will be offered to all clients who previously had testing at no additional charge
(I have typed that in so there may be the odd error as bad eyes today)
Hi Kim, I don't see that info on their Q&A sheet. Where did you find it?
This is what they gave me when I got my negative results earlier this week. I got the impression that they are not going to retest me for free. I checked the VIP site today and this is what is said:
Q: Does a negative result definitively mean that I am not infected?
A: Although we strive to offer the most sensitive test available, XMRV is typically present at a very low-copy number and could be below the limit of detection at the time your sample is tested. Re-testing at a later date is a decision for you and your physician or health care professional to discuss and determine the best course of action. We do not recommend re-testing for 3 to 6 months.
Q: Is a serological test available at this time?
A: A serological test is currently in development.
It looks as if they have changed the information sheet sometime in between I got my test results (mid-January) and when yours arrived (early February?).
I guess that was why I queried your plan to send a fresh blood sample first of all. I sort of assumed that people would wait to see what the serology test said first and then thought about a new sample. My apologies for getting that wrong. I thought we had the same sheet until I double checked.
There is no date or proper letterhead on my sheet but it came with the results.
NB - Just thinking this through again. Maybe it is a difference between people tested with the old PCR/Culture test option and the new Culture test only?
Marguerite Ross, Director, Marketing & Client Relations, VIP Dx / RedLabs, wrote this to me in an email on the 18th of January:
"If we get the antibody, we may be able to offer it at a reduced rate to those who have already been tested and had a “none detected” result. If you test positive, there is no need to be tested again."
Marguerite Ross also wrote:
"We will run the new improved culture test on your specimen. Samples will be banked. When we get our serology test licensed and validated through WPI, we can send you a release to have your banked sample tested. Please check back in the spring as to when this test will be available."
My doctor's nurse called this morning to tell me that my VIP culture test for XMRV was negative. My initial reaction was disappointment as this would have meant some explaination for my failure to gain 100% recovery over 15 years of illness.
Does this mean I do not fit the cfs diagnosis? I know I had mycoplasma, borrelia and probably babesia. I also have from time to time reactivated EBV and HHV6, also c. pneumonia.
I had been on high doses of artemisinin and Mepron for seven months prior to getting this XMRV testing. I had stopped both of those about 6 weeks before the blood draw for the XMRV test. It is possible the artemisinin lowered the XMRV level.
My remaining symptoms of chronic illness are head pressure/headache all the time, deminished balance and brain fog at times. Since these symptoms began 4 years ago with symptoms of meningitis they may have nothing to do with my original cfs or Lyme disease.
I am on the list to enter the WPI study of XMRV. Perhaps I will learn more there. All I can say in conclusion is that I hope MOST cfs patients test positive. I am certainly far more able to function than most cfs cases.except for the head pressure symptoms.
I was hoping, for selfish reasons, that you would be positive because then we would have your continued and helpful interest in XMRV. I hope you get into a WPI study, and learn things that will help you and everyone else. We're all on a roller coaster.