• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PEM cut in half from veggies and meat

HABS93

Before I got sick my plans were to just workout and take yoga. Improve my diet. Get back into hockey. 2 years later I've been able to turn the PEM into minor episodes and easily power through them. I found that having 2 veggie smoothies in the morning and at night before bed resulted in fast recovery. Way more efficient then taking magnesium which I found strange.
The question I want to ask is it possible to get the body jacked even tho I'm sick? Honestly ive gained 4 pounds and my protien count is at 100grams (145 lbs my weight ).
At work I don't get shakey anymore. My muscles feel abit stronger. Really my biggest issues is this terrible brain fog and basically no concentration. Physically though I'm getting better at a slow rate. I feel if I can put on 10lbs of muscle in a year I'd feel better about myself.

HABS93

Its great to hear your doing so much better! It sounds like something there is helping, it may just still take time to pull out and up!
Thank you! I've influenced people around me at work to quit smoking, Eat healthier so I'm feeling better moods at work. When I crash at home the veggie smoothie before bed. I wake up and feel not too bad. I don't think I'll ever figure out he brain fog. Other then sarcoidosis and a organic acids toxins biomarkers. I'm still just as confused as ever. However I'll take any progress on fatigue and mood as a silent victory.

Wishful

The question I want to ask is it possible to get the body jacked even tho I'm sick?

I don't see why not. I, and a number of others here, don't have the physical problems. Some have said that they still do pretty hardcore workouts with out problems. If you've found a way to reduce your PEM, you should be able to build up muscles. Workouts don't need much brain function, so the brainfog isn't a limitation. When my brainfog is bad I like doing mindless physical activities, such as shovelling soil or snow.

HABS93

No, at least not more so than pre-ME. If significant physical activity makes me feel sore and tired the next day, my cognition might suffer too, but activity that I'm used to doesn't reduce cognition.
@wabi-sabi This is exactly how I feel too. Took me months (Chef at high volume restaurant) to get use to it again. Even then that's a certain extent. I'm not saying its going to be easy but If I could get some stamina and strength back. Could be part of the equation to a semi normal life.
If I do something that goes above what I usually do then my brain fog is worse the next day. I've been able to recover from it with hard work and sweat at work. Have to have those veggie smoothies . I feel the antioxidants from the veggies must be helping the free radicals from doing as much damage ? Just a guess.

HABS93

I'm trying to figure out what's contributing to my PEM & cognitive problems. Physical exercise on day 1 tends to cause cog problems on day 2, but not sure if that's because I am too tired and wired to sleep and then real problem is sleep deprivation or it's the activity itself.
I feel each solution will always be personalized to your experience , exposure , Gene's, diet. What works for you wont work for someone else and what works isn't a full recovery . Not even close recovery. Just a increase in energy lasting longer before you crash is success in our eyes. If you can get the body to enjoy work again then crash at home. Recover almost fully before he next shift is where I find being content.
I truly changed my diet and slowly increased my stamina to the point i can enjoy work and maybe a little overtime. The veggie smoothies make your stomach feel good too. My brain fog is probably from my college years where I was dumb.
I still smoke weed at night . That's how I fit two chicken breast , spinach and a veggie smoothie . Else I'd barely eat and sleep. Made my brain fog slot worse the next day. I just already had my work memorized with my hands. Have alot of laughs and eventually I stared feeling I was working at a very fast pace with energy levels lasting all the way to the 8 hour mark. Hypersensive state pushed farther. Usually from working that intense I go into a very hypersensitive state which feels weak. Vertigo can occur. Laughter keeps he brain almost okay in this state. All of these things kind of disappeared after 3 months of eating healthy. The brain fog , vertigo , vision abnormalities, fatigue (Better tho) are all still there. This is the best I can explain to you.

HABS93

I just want to add on the anti inflammatory supplements that target the brain could also be having a combined effect. I've been taking NAC 600mg twice a day anot to up to three times. Also take D3 and K2 with a multi men . Probiotics and vit C 600mg a day. Added in Active folic acid and hydroxy B12 . Just seeing if they increase my energy more.

Wishful

I feel the antioxidants from the veggies must be helping the free radicals from doing as much damage ?

You could experiment with different vegetables, to see if the effects are different. Maybe it's just one chemical, the way cuminaldehyde worked for me. If it's only spinach that works for you, maybe spinach sprouts would be more or less effective. Maybe young leaves are more or less effective. Maybe other relatives of spinach would be more effective. Lots of opportunities for experimenting.

Wishful

Physical exercise on day 1 tends to cause cog problems on day 2, but not sure if that's because I am too tired and wired to sleep and then real problem is sleep deprivation or it's the activity itself.

For me, timing of activity is important for how my sleep will be. Activities, physical or cerebral, after ~2PM will cause insomnia (usually in the 1:30 to 4 AM period). Some types of activities shortly before bed will make it hard to fall asleep initially. Quickly-digested carbs after 2PM can trigger insomnia too, so maybe insulin is involved.

Pay attention to see if you have days where you unexpectedly sleep well despite exercise and note how your cognition is. Also, days when you suffer the cog problems without physical exercise the day before. Maybe you can figure out whether it's the sleep deprivation or the exercise causing the problem.

HABS93

You could experiment with different vegetables, to see if the effects are different. Maybe it's just one chemical, the way cuminaldehyde worked for me. If it's only spinach that works for you, maybe spinach sprouts would be more or less effective. Maybe young leaves are more or less effective. Maybe other relatives of spinach would be more effective. Lots of opportunities for experimenting.
It's baby spinach leaves that are washed. Maybe it's the magnesium in them. Have you had any success with veggies at all? I was reading alot about NAG for brain fog on here. As well it's proven to heal cartilage in the knees so I'm going to experiment with it.

HABS93

That's what I did
For me, timing of activity is important for how my sleep will be. Activities, physical or cerebral, after ~2PM will cause insomnia (usually in the 1:30 to 4 AM period). Some types of activities shortly before bed will make it hard to fall asleep initially. Quickly-digested carbs after 2PM can trigger insomnia too, so maybe insulin is involved.

Pay attention to see if you have days where you unexpectedly sleep well despite exercise and note how your cognition is. Also, days when you suffer the cog problems without physical exercise the day before. Maybe you can figure out whether it's the sleep deprivation or the exercise causing the problem.
That's what I did too. I realized what was causing the good days. For me it was just having nutritious breakfast and protien. For you it might be something completely different. Keep a journal so you can so what was different about your good days and your bad days. Maybe get a good intolerance test as well.

HABS93

Yes it does. I have a gene that suggest you should supplement with it . I've gotten random good stomach feelings from them. Hasn't really affected anything else. I take them after dinner. Just feels like it helps dopamine production hence the good tingling feeling in the stomach (Similar to alcohol). Other then that I haven't really noticed anything.

JES

It's baby spinach leaves that are washed. Maybe it's the magnesium in them. Have you had any success with veggies at all? I was reading alot about NAG for brain fog on here. As well it's proven to heal cartilage in the knees so I'm going to experiment with it.

You might be interested in this thread. A Norwegian patient/researcher found out that a mixture of spinach and some other vegetables when taken regularly at five-six hour intervals helped her and a bunch of patients improve. The reason it is speculated to help is oxalic acid, which is found in quite large amounts in fresh spinach.

Actually there is an easy test to confirm if it's the oxalic acid or some other ingredient in spinach that is helping you. If you drink a lot of milk or yogurt along with the spinach, it will neutralize the oxalic acid. I found out it lost 99% of its effect from doing this, so for me it's the oxalic acid that causes the temporary energy boost.

HABS93

@JES That's very interesting I'll check it out after work tonight. I can't consume things that are bad anymore. This is strange but since I only eat veggies and meat
My stomach only accepts veggies and meat. If I eat yogurt I get a stomach aches. Eat crispy chicken sandwich I get a stomach ache. So the spinach gets washed down with water or protien lol. I'm going to read this thread. Thank you for that!!