• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Greatly Improved Fatigue Symptoms When Treated with Oxygen-Ozone Autohemothe

Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Greatly Improved Fatigue Symptoms When Treated with Oxygen-Ozone Autohemotherapy (Tirelli et al, 2021)

Abstract
A number of 200 ME/CFS previously diagnosed patients, (mean age 33 ± 13 SD years) were consecutively treated with oxygen-ozone autohemotherapy (O2-O3-AHT). Fatigue was evaluated via an FSS 7-scoring questionnaire before and following 30 days after treatment. (3) Results: Almost half (43.5%) of the treated patients evolved their FSS scale from the worst (7) to the best (1) score, assessing the highest improvement from being treated with O2-O3-AHT. Furthermore 77.5% of patients experienced significant ameliorations of fatigue, of 4–6 delta score. No patient showed side effects, yet experienced long lasting fatigue disappearance, by three months follow up (4) Conclusions: Treatment with O2-O3-AHT greatly improves ME/CFS related fatigue, aside from sex and age distribution.

Discussion
[...]
The ability of ozone to modulate the complex interplay between oxidative stress and chronic inflammation may be the key to comprehend how ME/CFS patients felt a rapid relief in their fatigue symptoms following O2-O3-AHT.
[...]

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/11/1/29/htm

GlassCannonLife

Looks very cool. It almost sounds like it could be doable elsewhere, but I don't think I'd trust myself even if I had access to all of the required components (ozone generator, medical oxygen, sterile blood bag, etc).

Do we know if places outside of Italy are doing this? Or is this similar to standard "ozone therapy" that some people talk about?

andyguitar

The ability of ozone to modulate the complex interplay between oxidative stress and chronic inflammation may be the key to comprehend how ME/CFS patients felt a rapid relief in their fatigue symptoms following O2-O3-AHT.
Not a subject I know much about but does'nt it increase blood oxygen levels as well?
Do we know if places outside of Italy are doing this?
Fairly sure you can get this in USA and UK.

Looks very cool. It almost sounds like it could be doable elsewhere, but I don't think I'd trust myself even if I had access to all of the required components (ozone generator, medical oxygen, sterile blood bag, etc).

Do we know if places outside of Italy are doing this? Or is this similar to standard "ozone therapy" that some people talk about?
Not sure, but there was a guy here that i think is about to try ozone treatment at home or something after his doc treated a patients with ozone.

This stuff looks super promising:woot:

Not a subject I know much about but does'nt it increase blood oxygen levels as well?
Well they mix in oxygen as well so who knows maybe this thing just kickstarts the neurons by flooding them with oxygen;) I think the authors note that nobody knows why this appears to work since the ozone interactions in the body are so complex.

andyguitar

I think the authors note that nobody knows why this appears to work since the ozone interactions in the body are so complex.
Some clinics give the patient Heparin before the blood is removed for the Ozone treatment (makes it easier to draw the blood). I dont know if the subjects in this study got it but if they did..........

Hip

An Italian ME/CFS patient on this forum told me that Dr Umberto Tirelli tends to use patients with very mild chronic fatigue symptoms for his ozone trials, patients who may not even have ME/CFS, and instead may just have some idiosyncratic chronic fatigue.

Some clinics give the patient Heparin before the blood is removed for the Ozone treatment (makes it easier to draw the blood). I dont know if the subjects in this study got it but if they did..........
The blood clot theory? Well if either that theory is true or the ozone one i think we can be very happy. Better than a ruined brain stem or dysfunctional connective tissue i would say.

An Italian ME/CFS patient on this forum told me that Dr Umberto Tirelli tends to use patients with very mild chronic fatigue symptoms for his ozone trials, patients who may not even have ME/CFS, and instead may just have some idiosyncratic chronic fatigue.

Could be bogus, but if there is something to this then maybe the ozone has an effect on biofilms or bacteria/virus/fungi.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC3539485/

Hip

Could be bogus, but if there is something to this then maybe the ozone has an effect on biofilms or bacteria/virus/fungi.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC3539485/

Note that ozone autohemotherapy does not actually introduce ozone to the body; it treats a small volume of blood with ozone, and returns that blood to the body. There is also a similar procedure called UV autohemotherapy.

Autohemotherapy may have immune modulating effects, but I don't think its mechanism of action has been established.

Tirelli also has a study on ozone and ozone autohemotherapy therapy for fibromyalgia.

Note that ozone autohemotherapy does not actually introduce ozone to the body[...].

2.5. Patients’ Treatment with Oxygen Ozone Autohemotherapy (O2-O3-AHT)

[...]Actually, the O2-O3 mixture generator is managed by a microprocessor that ensures the precision of the ozone delivery, once the O3-O2 mixture amount is selected by the operator. Therefore, it is possible to customize the treatment by selecting the ozone concentration in a continuous range from 1 to 100 μg of O3. Then the 200 mL of ozonized blood was reintroduced into the circulatory blood directly, from the sterile bag. [...]

I thought the ozone would dissolve in the blood and be put back into the body, thats also what i think the above text from the study implies. Isnt that whats happening?

Hip

I thought the ozone would dissolve in the blood and be put back into the body, thats also what i think the above text from the study implies. Isnt that whats happening?

If you want to place ozone into the body as a whole, that is done by ozone therapy, with methods such as rectal insufflation of ozone, or an ozone gas body bag.

No doubt some ozone enters the body via ozone autohemotherapy, but I don't think that is the primary purpose of autohemotherapy.

If you want to place ozone into the body as a whole, that is done by ozone therapy, with methods such as rectal insufflation of ozone, or an ozone gas body bag.

No doubt some ozone enters the body via ozone autohemotherapy, but I don't think that is the primary purpose of autohemotherapy.
Sure, i tried to google it but cant find the exact reason they do this particular treatment the way they do.

There could be other more effective ways to introduce ozone into the body but the ozone dissolved in the blood here could still just be enough to target some biofilms. Maybe not, just throwing out suggestions in case this disease doesnt really hinge on inflammation or oxidative stress which is the proposed target for the ozone here.

helios

I did ozone IV therapy in a clinic and had some of the best health of my life on it but it was short lived alas. I did 4 sessions over 3 months and on the 3rd and 4th sessions felt awesome but it would fade a week layer. I did the Ten pass procedure where 10 transfusions are done so much better blood saturation. The killer was the cost. At the time I was not working and it was $900 a session. I was devastated when the effects faded though I did feel my health was raised to a slightly higher level because of it. Some of the doctors patients supposedly remained better but also half only temporary.

I would absolutely would love to do this at home. but it is difficult to be able to do IV on yourself plus getting access to heparin would be very difficult. As someone else pointed out about maybe the heparin on its own might be beneficial. Ive run that past my doc and he agrees but stalled on prescribing it.