• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Patient Advocate September 08th, 2010

shannah

http://cfspatientadvocate.blogspot....mHPhV6rcuUDijfYzGtsW65P3#c2555468311212460955

Wednesday, September 8, 2010
The REAL second most important day in ME/CFS research
Yesterday, events forced the Patient Advocate to move the vaunted Dr. Alter's confirmation paper to third on the list of "the most important days in ME/CFS research". Sorry, Dr. Alter.

Yesterday morning the Patient Advocate received a call from his son Peter, asking if he had heard the news on the BBC world news about the study that came from the University of Dundee in Scotland? (My wife also heard it on the news on the way to work.) I immediately went looking for it and found very little online. Later the contents of the study were released here.

This study came out of the blue. Very few people knew about it, or knew that it was coming. This study is a very big deal. While it does not mention XMRV, it does establish an association between white blood cell dysfunction and ME/CFS.

ME/CFS patients' systems give clear indication of fighting viruses, along with the attendant inflammatory issues. Coming hard on the heels of the long and unnecessarily delayed confirmation of the NCI/WPI October study, the study release gives us the REAL "second most important day in ME/CFS research".

In Bethesda today, the NIH conference is continuing. At this point, we are supposed to be thankful to these people. The NIH has had two weeks to respond in a positive way to the Alter study by freeing up discretionary money for research. Instead they have done nothing. Believe me, money is a five minute cell phone call away. Instead the NIH wants to run another confirmation trial, to revolve the discrepancies of the prior negative studies. Good luck! This is the usual "money well spent" - money used to elevate and justify one's own incompetence. Do we need this? No, we do not need this.

Somehow we are supposed to trust and believe in the very institutions that have participated in a not so subtle contortion of reality for 25 years. The Patient Advocate does not trust any government scientist. The PA has no reason to trust them.

The NIH obviously now wants to "get in on the action". This long summer of unease at the NIH/HHS occurred for a reason. The reason for the delay of Alter's paper was not because further study was warranted. Dr. Alter was not telling the complete truth on this one. The three month delay was designed to strategize what to do with the discovers of this XMRV connection with ME/CFS - and to figure out how to neutralize or degrade the NCI/WPI/Cleveland clinic position. It is currently going on. The NIH is interested in wresting control or partially wresting control of this illness connection away from the discoverers of it.

What can the NIH really do to help? They can immediately give money to the people who have gotten us here. (The Patient Advocate can supply them with a list.) They can immediately fund treatment trials. They can even do their little confirmation trial if it makes them feel happy. The time is now to move. Until the NIH comes up with a load of dough, this organization will be without any credibility.

So this conference goes on into its second day. Andrea Whittemore states that, "things will finally be put to rest during Dr. Ruschetti's talk on CFS". Having seen Dr. Ruschetti in action, the PA believes what Andrea says. Mikovits will give her talk and then, during the question period, smack NIH questions out of the ballpark. The Patient Advocate has seen it.

At the end of the day, the question will be, did the NIH learn anything? For the past two days, 200 new-fangled scientists have been sitting in a conference room trying to get up to speed. Did anything happen? Will they be able to get on board, or are they going to continue to dawdle?. Things are now moving at exponential speed. The NIH needs to wake up. It is not too late. If it didn't happen today, it will never happen.

The NIH added this CFS section at near to the last minute. Input was invited from those who know the most about this illness - the WPI, Dr. Brewer, Dr. Cheney, Dr. Bell, Dr. Peterson, and Dr. de Meirleir. A consortium needs to be funded around these clinicians, and NIH funded treatment trials begun. The framework is there. This is going to happen, either with or without the NIH. It's their choice - but please - if you don't want to help - get out of the way.

(All I can say after watching this supposed panel discussions taking questions from a partially differentiated, partially "intelligent" group of scientists, is - thank God for the WPI.)

Mark

WOW! Hard hitting stuff, the PA puts things in perspective as always: this deserves a LOT of attention...

grant107

Jean
I cannot understand Dr. Coffin's reluctance to begin clinical trials. This would solve the issue of causality. I guess he was trying to say we cannot measure viral load yet but it is time to get us help.