• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Patent: Method for the treatment of CFS using an inhibitory or cytotoxic agent against plasma cells, 2021, Fluge, Mella

Tough read, but if I understand correctly,
-Patients responding to Rituximab may have autoantibody production from immature plasma cells (plasmablasts).
-This study suggests patients with autoantibody-production from the mature plasma cells, not responding to Rituximab, may be helped with a possible treatment using a regimen that targets mature plasma cells.
-They suggest the above is why Rituximab had limited results in a recent study.
-In short, the theory is to go after CFS first with an inhibitory or cytotoxic agent. And then combine or follow with a B-cell depletion medication such as Rituximab.
-Cyclophosphamide was mentioned as it targets CD4 and CD8 T-cells as well as B-cell proliferation. Cyclophosphamide is currently used in cancer patients.
-Interestingly, Cyclophosphamide is mentioned in "Multitasking Biomolecules in ME/CFS Pathogenesis - Alain Moreau - OMF Working Group Meeting September 8-11, 2020" which is a separate thread. In that presentation, they discussed Cyclophosphamide as reducing TSP-1 (Thrombospondin) levels.
-At the very end of the paper, they give specific examples of patients who improved and the drugs involved.

No promises on the accuracy of the above as I am in over my head with this subject.