• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Parent-child discrepancies in health-related quality of life of children and adolescents with ME/CFS (Ekberg et al., 2021)

Pyrrhus

Parent-child discrepancies in health-related quality of life of children and adolescents with ME/CFS (Ekberg et al., 2021)
Krista M. Ekberg, Chelsea Torres & Leonard A. Jason
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11136-021-02919-w

Excerpt:
Ekberg et al 2021 said:
Purpose
Few studies have examined parent-child discrepancies on self-report measures of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) symptomatology and health-related quality of life (HRQOL). The aim of this study was to investigate parent-child reporting discrepancies between a pediatric sample of diagnosed patients with ME/CFS and controls to better understand the role of children and adolescent reporting.

Method
Data for this study were drawn from a community-based epidemiological study of pediatric ME/CFS in the Chicagoland area. A total of 147 parent-child dyads (75 pairs with ME/CFS and 72 control pairs) completed measures assessing HRQOL and ME/CFS symptomatology. At the individual level, agreement was assessed using intra-class correlation coefficient (ICC) scores. Agreement was measured at the group level by a comparison of means using paired-sample t-tests.

Results
Intra-class correlations revealed varied agreement in both parent-child pairs of children who met at least one case definition of ME/CFS and in parent-child pairs in the control group.

Conclusion
The current study provides support for the existence of discrepancies between parent-child reports of ME/CFS symptomatology and HRQOL measures. Limitations and future directions are discussed.

Diwi9

Administrator
@Pyrrhus - Were you able to access the full article? I find this study sort of fascinating and would love to read it. If you've read it, do you have any insights?

Diwi9

Administrator
@Pyrrhus - Well, shucks...just the abstract comes up for me when I click the link. I still need to pay $40 for the full paper. Anyway, I was curious to see where there were reporting discrepancies.