• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PANDAS/PANS treatment protocol for ME/CFS?

Jesse2233

Several doctors are now using the Cunningham autoantibody panel to establish a case for autoimmunity in ME/CFS patients. These same autoantibodies have been linked to PANDAS/PANS, a post-infectious autoimmune disease affecting children.

A treatment protocol has emerged for PANDAS that mirrors some of the more successful ME/CFS treatments. The difference seems to be that more mainstream doctors are willing to accept and implement these treatments for PANDAS than for ME/CFS. Furthermore these treatments are implemented in a systematic and complementary way thus improving the outcomes; e.g. underlying infection is treated at the same as autoimmunity.

You will find many PANDAS communities with stories of recovery from these protocols. I wonder if the same might be true for ME/CFS (at least a subset) if these same treatments were more regularly used.

Treatment protocol:
  • Antibiotics: penicillin, amoxicillin, erythromycin, azithromycin, and clindamycin

• Immunomodulation: IVIG, plasmapheresis, prednisone, rituximab, cellcept, and cyclophosphamide

• Supportive: CBT, antidepressants
Cunningham panel / PANDAS autoantibodies:
  • Anti-Dopamine Receptor D1
  • Anti-Dopamine Receptor D2L
  • Anti-Lysoganglioside GM1
  • Anti-Tubulin
Pathogens linked to PANDAS onset:
  • Mycoplasma pneumonia
  • Streptococcus pyogenes
  • Various strains of Lyme
This is an interesting read on a young girl who recovered from severe PANDAS using rituximab and helminths

Last edited:

Skippa

Anti-BS
VERY interesting, thanks...

But...

One can't help but notice...

CBT and antidepressants crop up everywhere!!

Jeez, cure them of x but create a patient for y indefinitely...

Anyways, the rest of it is cool :)

Jesse2233

VERY interesting, thanks...

But...

One can't help but notice...

CBT and antidepressants crop up everywhere!!

Jeez, cure them of x but create a patient for y indefinitely...

Anyways, the rest of it is cool :)

Hahah yes I almost didn't include that part. I suppose if you have treatments targeting the actual disease palliative care can be beneficial.

Diwi9

Administrator
Cunningham panel / PANDAS autoantibodies:
  • Anti-Dopamine Receptor D1
  • Anti-Dopamine Receptor D2L
  • Anti-Lysoganglioside GM1
  • Anti-Tubulin
The Cunningham Panel also tests for the following, as described on their website:
CaMKII
The fifth test, CaMKII (Calcium-dependent Calmodulin Protein Kinase II) is a cell stimulation assay in which human serum is incubated on human neuronal cells. CaMKII is involved in the up-regulation of many neurotransmitters in the brain. The increase or stimulation of CaMKII activity by serum antibodies is measured compared to a baseline control and elevated activity may be associated with an infection-triggered autoimmune condition.

el_squared

I just got my Cunningham Panel test results back. Will be a few weeks before I see the doctor who ordered test to discuss.
I am elevated on three out of the five markers. If anyone can opine on the significance, what these means, please chime in...

Dakota15

@el_squared I know this bumping an old thread from quite some time ago, can I ask which markers you were elevated in? Was one of them CaM Kinase II?

Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer that route