• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Palpitations in Bath

Evening everyone! Random one: does anyone else get palpitations when lying in the bath? Notice if I lie down with the water over my chest, I get shortof breath and have palpitations, think it’s been doing it for a while now, but noticed it particularly so today.

Gets better in sitting up out of the water...

Shoshana

Northern USA
Is the water warm or hot?

I don't know if it is your body position, or if it is, possibly in fact, the submersion in hot water.
I remember they have warning signs near sauna's, (the type next to a public pool, that you just sit in/under the water which is warmer than the pool water)
signs that warn not to use if any heart issue...I cannot remember if it raises heart rate or blood pressure...or both.

Yeah I get this and I'm certain for me it is due to heat. Having showers / baths with POTS is a bit of a nightmare especially for heart symptoms.

That would make sense, was worse when I added more hot water. I struggle to maintain my body temperature a lot of the time, tend to feel too cold, so I might be making the bath warmer than I think it is. Will have to test with a thermometer next time.

Used to have a hot tub but was having the same effect and making me light headed so had to get rid.

Is the water warm or hot?

I don't know if it is your body position, or if it is, possibly in fact, the submersion in hot water.
I remember they have warning signs near sauna's, (the type next to a public pool, that you just sit in/under the water which is warmer than the pool water)
signs that warn not to use if any heart issue...I cannot remember if it raises heart rate or blood pressure...or both.

I’m thinking it must be the hot water as went worse when I added more hot water to the bath. Does make my pulse speed up, think I read that it causes your blood pressure to drop because of the vasodilation.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Oh, @Chrisjr19
Where I used the word "sauna" above, I think I actually did mean "hot tub"
and that I had forgotten the word for it! Couldn't drag myself out of it, one time. Had to have others help pull me out. Never used it again.

Oh, @Chrisjr19
Where I used the word "sauna" above, I think I actually did mean "hot tub"
and that I had forgotten the word for it! Couldn't drag myself out of it, one time. Had to have others help pull me out. Never used it again.

Wow, that’s weird, didn’t even notice you’d said sauna, think my brain just translated it to hot tub so made perfect sense :)

Rufous McKinney

Evening everyone! Random one: does anyone else get palpitations when lying in the bath? Notice if I lie down with the water over my chest, I get shortof breath and have palpitations, think it’s been doing it for a while now, but noticed it particularly so today.

Somewhere I read the hot bath is a cardiac work out, like an aerobic work out. So you maybe experienced some oxygen shortage while: doing cardio lying in the tub. I'm missing my tub, and this is a new symptom for me I've been enjoying...*but its gotten better since taking BCAAs...

Somewhere I read the hot bath is a cardiac work out, like an aerobic work out. So you maybe experienced some oxygen shortage while: doing cardio lying in the tub. I'm missing my tub, and this is a new symptom for me I've been enjoying...*but its gotten better since taking BCAAs...

That makes sense, I get the palpitations when doing any type of exercise too. I’ll have a look into BCAAs too, thanks!