• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) to deactivate mast cells

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Friends,

I have been suffering from an intense mast cell activation flare due to the Moderna Covid vaccine. While researching treatments into MCAS, I came upon an blog talking about how both CBD and PEA (palmitoylethanolamide) reduce mast cell activation. It quotes:

PEA reduces mast cell migration and degranulation and reduces the pathological overactivation of these cells [21]. Mast cells shift from activated immune- to resting phenotypes under influence of PEA.

Applied exogenously, PEA has proven efficacious in mast cell-mediated experimental models of acute and neurogenic inflammation.

Looking into PubMed, I see:
I tried 600mg of PEA yesterday and felt a noticeable improvement from my COVID vax-induced malaise. I was up off the couch and raking leaves and I also felt more optimistic. Excited to try it again today.

MCAS / histamine intolerance sufferers, please share your experiences with PEA in this thread.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

What brand of PEA did you use? I had tried Neurobiologix PEA, but it also has resveratrol, which gives me sleep problems. My doctor suggests PEA for pain, but I had never heard of it as helping with mast cell activation. Interesting!

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I took PEA by Lake Avenue Nutrition, a 3rd-party tested generic brand by iHerb. I also tried PEA chewable tablets by Life Extension but it contained chemical sweeteners that really upset by stomach.

If you read enough reviews, you will see users talking about how it helps their inflammation. Here is a review from a MCAD sufferer.

I am only on my second day, but I feel it may be helping my mast cell flare. It almost certainly helps my TMJ. I am going to try 600mg twice per day.

perchance dreamer

PEA, even the powder form with no other ingredients such as resveratrol, gives me insomnia. I had also tried the Lake Avenue Nutrition brand . It's unfortunate it worsens my sleep because it did help my sinuses and pain. I have this type of reaction to a lot of supplements, so I doubt my reaction to PEA is typical.