• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain Relief for my Fibro/Sjogrens-Finally!

Misfit Toy

Last summer and for many years, I have been reporting major pain. Many on here know I suffer with pain more than probably any symptom. I wrote last summer about how I have tested as having very little magnesium in my body through a test I did. A urine test. My magnesium basically came back absent. Also, Taurine was low.

My doctor has had me supplement with magnesium for years. Ancient Minerals on the skin, epsom salts and Natural Calm. In the beginning, Ancient Minerals helped and I was doing better but then it just stopped. Epsom salt baths have never done ANYTHING. NOTHING.

Finally, with the help of another member on PR, I tried intramuscular shots in my butt. For 2 months now I have been on this. My pain has gone down by about 30-40%. That is huge for me.

I rarely take meds now, as in Percocet or Tramadol and Fentanyl is only on rare occasions.

I also take Potassium pills.

I had tried Magnesium in a nebulizer, but I literally felt like my lungs weren't working. So, I couldn't stick with that.

The only downside to this is I have knots in my rear from the shots or the magnesium that hurt. Right now, I am sitting on an ice pack. But, hey, I will take it over the never ending pain I had.

I am wondering if Magnesium can help the immune system. I hope so.

I just wanted to put this out there for folks that are in pain because honestly, I didn't think anything would ever help and especially a supplement/alternative treatment. Nothing alternatively has ever touched my pain.

I am so grateful. Now, if only it would take away my severe brain fog and fatigue...that would truly be great.

That is now my #1 symptom, as opposed to the cruelty of horrific pain. It's not that I don't have pain ever...I can move now and the other day, I actually wore a heel/wedge on my foot and went out for the whole day with that. I have not really been able to wear wedges/heels, etc....for a few years now since the pain cranked up.

Next up....battling the fatigue and lethargic feeling and fog...I hope! As well as the pain. One shot of Enbrel (A biologic-like Humira) the other day and so far, so good.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The only downside to this is I have knots in my rear from the shots or the magnesium that hurt. Right now, I am sitting on an ice pack. But, hey, I will take it over the never ending pain I had.
Dr. Cheney used to prescribe magnesium injections with taurine. They say that this takes away the pain.

Sushi

L'engle

moogle
That's great! Thankfully epsom salts work for me so far, though when I have magnesium loss (from vitamin d) I have to use 4 lbs of epsom salts in a day to get to sleep! I basically have to spend all my waking hours with my feet in a foot bath in order to keep up with the loss. Luckily it only lasts a few days and happens when I accidentally take in vitamin d, which is easy to do.

Is the magnesium helping you sleep? Hope things continue to get better.

Misfit Toy

@Sushi -I don't think for whatever reason that my compounding pharmacy could figure out the ratio of magnesium to Taurine. It took them weeks...weeks to come up with the proper balance, but something is off because I have to sit on an ice pack and I have these huge welts on my bottom...but they go away over time. No bruises though, but it looks like I have been stung by something.

@L'engle That is way too much work to spend all of your hours with your feet in an epsom salt bath? There has to be another way. Have you tried the magnesium you put on your body? The Ancient Minerals, or something similar?

Magnesium and sleep....I haven't really noticed. I have noticed my schedule has become later and I am not liking it. I go to bed at 3:30 am some nights and sometimes 4 am. I HATE that...but I would literally have to take the TV out of my apartment. I need more discipline.

My sleep is so up and down. It also depends on hormones...or, horror-mones.

@SDSue -I will take more energy for anything! Either way, the magnesium is helping. I am trying to decide the next road of action for fatigue. Started Enbrel, but that's a show you take every other week, at least for me right now. That is supposed to help with my fatigue. We shall see! But...to wearing high heel wedges!

Misfit Toy

@Valentijn -I think that may hurt more....not as much fat, plus I have to do my Enbrel shots in thigh. Also, the bumps on my butt can't be seen but on my thigh they would be seen.

Hey, I'll pay the price! They are working! :)

Misfit Toy

@ebethc -I'm a celiac. Not eating milk, soy, pears, tomatoes, night shades. I have food allergies. I don't have energy for all of these special diets.

Misfit Toy

It's too much work. I think for most with this illness who are suffering or living in pain or exhausted...it's kind of unrealistic to eat like this. I know it helps many but they must not be as ill. I really feel that way.

I am glad it helps so many though.

There are days where I just can't cook. I eat leftovers a lot.

It's too much work. I think for most with this illness who are suffering or living in pain or exhausted...it's kind of unrealistic to eat like this. I know it helps many but they must not be as ill. I really feel that way.
Or they don't have a choice and have to find a way to make it work, even if it's very difficult for them.

ebethc

I am glad it helps so many though.

There are days where I just can't cook. I eat leftovers a lot.

yes... it's ironic that i take better care of myself when I feel a little better... the worse I feel, the more I just want to eat whatever's easiest and cheapest....(because when I'm at my worst, I'm not working a ton..)

I have a theory that wheat and dairy give me (short-term) relief, due to the opium like effects of their proteins.. So, when I'm in the most pain, I automatically want the things that give me relief.. although it's likely to be bad for me in the longer run... Also, I think that the opium like substances (wheat/dairy proteins, endorphins, LDN) have some effect on the immune system that we don't quite understand yet... All we know is that they modulate pain..

ebethc

@ebethc -wheat and dairy is the absolute worst for my pain. I'm celiac so that isn't happening!

interesting.... I am not celiac but have some of the "markers" according to my doctor... (ie, genes that indicate a propensity for celiac)

have you ever gone completely grain-free? did it help? I've been reading about avoiding high-lectin foods lately, and supposedly all grains are high in lectins.

Misfit Toy

@ebethc -I did go completely grain free for five days last year and became completely sick. I had no energy and I lost weight quick. I did not feel good and decided to not continue with it. I don't eat that many grains anyway and I eat gluten-free bread.

My diet consists of trying to eat as wholesome as possible. I had salmon tonight with fresh cucumber salad and an organic homemade (by me) corn muffin. I cook often and eat a lot of salad. Everything is gluten, dairy and soy free and no night shades.

I do easy and simple meals. Chicken and asparagus- turkey and green beans. I try to eat raw veggies.

For me, I honestly don't have the energy to fool around with the gaps diet or many of these diets. I have a wrist that hasn't healed completely, I can't cut many things, I deal with a lot of pain and fatigue and it's awesome that people can do it but I honestly don't have the energy to fool around with the gaps diet or many of these diets. I am in PT 3 times a week for my wrist and a herniated disc in my neck. 2 hours each session.

That does not allow me a lot of time for cooking and preparing and hours of making meals. And I don't feel bad about it. Doing the best I can and that's all anyone can ask.

I also can't afford for someone to come in and cook for me. So to those who can make it work, they have the wherewithal. I don't. It's not about choice. Many with CFS can't get out of bed. Can't shower. So...cutting, dicing, standing over a stove isn't in the cards for many.

I can shower. But been spending a lot of time in bed as of late.

My choice is to have a hand that moves, bends and writes. I need my hand, first and foremost.

I think limiting grains won't hurt and limiting sugar. I feel like milk is the devil. Milk makes mucus, phlegm and I am very allergic.

Each person needs to customize a diet that's right for them. Everyone is different.

Last edited: