• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain-related post-exertional malaise in ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia: A systematic review and three-level meta-analysis (Barhorst et al., 2021)

Pyrrhus

Pain-related post-exertional malaise in ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia: A systematic review and three-level meta-analysis (Barhorst et al., 2021)
https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnab308

Excerpt:
Objective
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) and Fibromyalgia (FM) are two debilitating, moderately comorbid illnesses in which chronic musculoskeletal pain symptoms are prevalent. These individuals can experience post-exertional malaise (PEM), a phenomenon where symptom severity is worsened 24hr or longer following physical stress, but the pain-related component of PEM is not well characterized.

Design
Systematic review and meta-analysis

Methods
Case-control studies involving adults with ME/CFS or FM and measuring pain symptoms before and after exposure to a standardized aerobic exercise test were included. Hedges’ d effect sizes were aggregated using random effects models and potential moderators were explored with meta-regression analysis. Results were adjusted for nesting effects using three-level modeling.

Results
Forty-five effects were extracted from 15 studies involving 306 patients and 292 healthy controls. After adjusting for nesting effects, we observed a small-to-moderate effect indicating higher post-exercise pain in patients than controls (Hedges’ d=0.42; 95% CI: 0.16, 0.67). The mean effect was significantly moderated by pain measurement timepoint (b = -0.19, z = -2.57, P = 0.01) such that studies measuring pain 8-72hr post-exercise showed larger effects (d = 0.71, 95% CI = 0.28-1.14) than those measuring pain 0-2hr post-exercise (d = 0.32, 95% CI = 0.10-0.53).

Conclusions
People with ME/CFS and FM experience small-to-moderate increases in pain severity following exercise which confirms pain as a component of PEM and emphasizes its debilitating impact in ME/CFS and FM. Future directions include determining mechanisms of pain-related PEM and developing exercise prescriptions that minimize symptom exacerbation in these illnesses.