• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain on the inside of both knees

rosie26

About the knees going inward, knocking? Do I have that right? I've recently read that according to the type of arthritis some will bow in and some Knees/legs will bow out. Again, check me out.
I'll see what I can find out and get back to you @Paralee or maybe someone else knows.

Paralee

I bought a brace from Walgreen's the other day because my left knee didn't want to work....well, my husband went and got it because I couldn't really walk. I think it worked pretty well all things considering, it had the metal braces on each side and I haven't used one of those before.

I may end up getting two like that of better quality. They didn't seem to bother my baker's cysts. They're not the ones I've read I should have, though, so I'll....you know.....research some more. (I'm really too old to hang out my shingle, this is getting to be too much!)

I really need to know what they test for, out of what I've read, I've been tested for everything but chlamidia. (sp).

rosie26

I bought a brace from Walgreen's the other day because my left knee didn't want to work....well, my husband went and got it because I couldn't really walk. I think it worked pretty well all things considering, it had the metal braces on each side and I haven't used one of those before.

I may end up getting two like that of better quality. They didn't seem to bother my baker's cysts. They're not the ones I've read I should have, though, so I'll....you know.....research some more. (I'm really too old to hang out my shingle, this is getting to be too much!)

I really need to know what they test for, out of what I've read, I've been tested for everything but chlamidia. (sp).
Always lots of research involved for us @Paralee I have paper everywhere with notes on. I haven't heard the saying " hanging out the shingle" before. :D

I hope you find the right braces. If they help, that's great.

msf

I agree, it would be great to have a sub forum. Like you I haven't had the painful swollen joints of reactive arthritis but I have other symptoms of reactive arthritis so I don't know what else to call it other than reactive arthritis. We need another name it seems?

Sorry, didn´t see this until now.

Yes, it seems that we have reactive arthritis without the reactivity.

rosie26

Sorry, didn´t see this until now.

Yes, it seems that we have reactive arthritis without the reactivity.
@msf, I can't remember if you mentioned you were positive for HLA B27. Interested to know if you are. I had the test done and recieved the result today, which is negative. I'm surprised, I was expecting to be positive for this.

msf

Hi Rosie,

I haven´t been tested, but I doubt I am, and I am not surprised that you aren´t - if we were, we probably would have already been diagnosed with ReA.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I get similar pain on the inside of one knee that comes and goes, not enough to worry me. @rosie26, when I read your post my thought was you should see a doctor for a diagnosis. It could be a mechanical problem that might benefit from physical therapy, but you won't know until you've been properly diagnosed.

rosie26

Hi Rosie,

I haven´t been tested, but I doubt I am, and I am not surprised that you aren´t - if we were, we probably would have already been diagnosed with ReA.
Thanks for your reply Msf. I mainly had gynae problems with my reactive arthritis. The last time I visited gynaecology, a few months ago, they were so vague and unforthcoming with any information when I mentioned I had reactive arthritis with gynae problems associated with it. No real interest or advice, just blankness. You would think that gynae would be aware of the problems reactive arthritis can cause women gynaecologically. I wonder how many women are going to gynae pain clinics and not knowing that their pain is caused by reactive arthritis.

Excuse my rambling and thanks for listening.

rosie26

I get similar pain on the inside of one knee that comes and goes, not enough to worry me. @rosie26, when I read your post my thought was you should see a doctor for a diagnosis. It could be a mechanical problem that might benefit from physical therapy, but you won't know until you've been properly diagnosed.
I haven't experienced the knee pain in the last week so I think it is enthesitis. It feels similar to other enthesitis I get. But I will see a doctor if it comes back worse again.

Last edited:

ChrisD

@rosie26 I had a Bartonella rash in 2015 followed by a flu that cause the onset of my CFS, firstly in the form of Reactive Arthritis which transformed into Fibromyalgia and eventually ME. The whole time I have had this pain on the inside of my knees with my knees turning inward and lots of crepitus - I suspect the joint has degraded - in fact you can see how the form of my knee has changed. I never knew of the Chlamydia link but in the process of Lyme testing assessments it has been suggested that I test for Chlamydia P and T based on other symptoms

rosie26

@rosie26 I had a Bartonella rash in 2015 followed by a flu that cause the onset of my CFS, firstly in the form of Reactive Arthritis which transformed into Fibromyalgia and eventually ME. The whole time I have had this pain on the inside of my knees with my knees turning inward and lots of crepitus - I suspect the joint has degraded - in fact you can see how the form of my knee has changed. I never knew of the Chlamydia link but in the process of Lyme testing assessments it has been suggested that I test for Chlamydia P and T based on other symptoms
This is really interesting to me. I'd like to spend some time reading it over when not so brainfogged and I will reply you over the long weekend. Thanks for posting @ChrisD

rosie26

@ChrisD Your ME follows similar lines to me. For me it went Chlamydia - Fibromyalgia - Flu- ME. I think unbeknownst to me the reactive arthritis was there from the start. I doubt very much that I would have ME now if I had not contracted Chlamydia when I was 20 years old.

That Chlamydia infection changed me. It was a rebound too. I was given an antibiotic pessary tablet vaginally and I reacted badly to it, damaging the microbiota. I never returned to a normal microbiome. As you could imagine I had problems convincing doctors something was different, they began to see me as having psychological problems. I was young and it was the 80's.

Like you, I didn't know of the Chlamydia connection to reactive arthritis. None of my doctors clicked either.
It wasn't until I came here to PR that I learned of reactive arthritis , 30 years on.

From what I have read, a flu can flare up reactive arthritis. Looking back at my severe ME onset. I now wonder if 'some' of that was reactive arthritis along with ME. I definitely had a nasty flu but I remember at the time having a reactive arthritis symptom on the soles of my feet and that is blennorrhagica. I had a 3 on one foot and 4 on the other. I also had painful knees. But I had a ton of other severe symptoms at severe, one of which I think was meningitis.

Only if you don't mind, have you tried any treatments for reactive arthritis? Any help?

Last edited: