• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain Depends on Gender

Wishful

This news report caught my attention: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00895-3?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20190328

The brain's response to pain signals is highly dependent on the sex of the person, and involves microglia and t-cells, as well as sex hormones. Quite interesting. Anyone who is having pain issues might find it interesting. Maybe it will suggest different ways to deal with pain, or at least explain why some methods don't work.

The article doesn't mention ME, but since microglia and t-cells are involved, and a sexual difference, it might help explain some aspects of ME, such as the ratio of males to females with ME.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
Interesting subject. I wish they wouldn't use rodents and then assume results on the rodents are applicable to people.

Wishful

I think scientists have done enough research on rodents to have at least a reasonable idea of whether whatever they're studying should apply to humans. There are probably some standards for verifying the applicability: numbers of subjects, p-values, etc. Some research simply wouldn't be done if it had to be done only on humans, with all the expense and paperwork required.