• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE trial claims of recovery are not justified by the data: A Rejoinder to Sharpe et al.

Tom Kindlon

Sally K Burch shared your post.
11 hrs ·
Phenomenal work by Carolyn Wiltshire, Tom Kindlon-pwme and Simon McGrath. Straight forward writing that completely shreds the PACE conclusions.

In my view, the PACE authors' earlier defence of of their trial now looks like obfuscating bluster.

My favourite quote from Tom et al's paper: "Since doctors and patients will understand recovery in its common meaning of a return to good health, we are correct to say that: PACE's published recovery figures will mislead them."

Yup ... that's it. PACE outcomes are misleading - is there anything else we really need to know? I'm printing this. I have a meeting coming up with my MP and he will see this. THANK YOU to all involved. xx
https://www.facebook.com/keela.too.9/posts/810368355779064

Last edited:

Tom Kindlon

Just collating some comments from Facebook for @Simon . I'll also direct Carolyn here in case she has time to look at the thread.

Thanks for the work that you & the team did on replying to the PACE researchers. It is beyond me how they had the gall to publish "findings" that have so many holes they resemble a colander!!!!

---

Love this. Tom et al reply back to the PACE PIss after the PACE PIs responded to their re-analysis paper of an original PACE paper. Yes ..it's like a Babushka Doll..and I'd bet on there being a few more layers yet!

(I left the typo..seemed apposite ;) ).

https://www.researchgate.net/public...arpe_Chalder_Johnson_Goldsmith_and_White_2017

---

Remember this was funded by the UK Government Department for Work and Pensions. Hypothetically, if people with m.e recovered, they could come off benefits and work. This research suggested people could recover.

---

This is an easy to read paper that basically destroys the evidence base for GET & CBT. Powerful reading.

It's actually a reply to a reply, to a paper critisising the PACE trial, but ignore all that as it is a powerful piece in it's own right. Go Tom Kindlon-pwme

https://www.researchgate.net/public...arpe_Chalder_Johnson_Goldsmith_and_White_2017

---

Please folks take a look at this. Consider printing it out. It totally destroys the evidence base for GET and CBT as therapies for ME.

Brilliantly and clearly argued. Thank you, Wilshire, Kindlon and McGrath, and thinking of Alem Mathees. The inordinate price he is paying for his efforts is why this work is so important. It will be a good day when treatments for ME/CFS treat PEM, rather than induce it.

Tom Kindlon

A couple of more comments I received:
I thoroughly enjoyed your rejoinder to Sharpe et al with Wilshire and McGrath. Their response to your original paper was breath-taking in its inadequacy. I thought you did a superb job of highlighting the logical flaws in their arguments, and of supporting your own with convincing evidence – I particularly enjoyed the section on verbal encouragement on p.4.

This is an excellent write up replying to Sharpe et al.

Well written, takes apart each point they made or failed to make and puts it right back at them.

Bravo to you all.

Tom Kindlon

Wilshire Kindlon.png

Tom Kindlon

Just collating some comments from Facebook for @Simon . I'll also direct Carolyn here in case she has time to look at the thread.

This is an excellent piece of work. It was crucial to make the problems crystal clear, because it is so easy for the lay person to miss the point(s). This paper is so clear that anyone could understand what has occurred, and why it is indefensible.

HowToEscape?

I have not the energy nor morale to read the PACE study, but ...

WT &^$% does a six-minute walking test have to do with this disease? This is not a disease measured by the ability to imitate James Watt's horse, even a pico-horse. When we're exhausted, we won't be able to show up for the test, if not crashed, we can drag ourselves through a short walk even in a moderately severe state, but the next day ....

What occupation or essential life task can a person complete in six minutes, with no further standing, walking or cognition after? Where is the test for brain fog? The 6m test seems to be designed as a diversion, a test more or less anyone with 1.5 legs and a pulse can pass. It's nearly orthogonal to both activities that knock us out and to activities necessary for an average life.

Personally, I've found that for over 10 years since hitting this wall the most harmful activities involve simply being out of the apartment for a few hours, more than 15 minutes of moderate outdoor heat, etc etc. IOW, attempting normal life.
A brief burst of energy output has much milder consequences; it's also useless for anything other than recording ergs on some piece of PT gear.

Cheshire

The last part is the more revealing. Let's say this theory has some ground: the fact that some patients can get disabled because of fearfull cognition doesn't mean that this process can explain all that medical science does not understand yet. That's the whole problem. These extreme examples are used to fill the gaps of knowledge without checking if it matches with the patients reality.

Poor logic, that 1st year philosophy students would reject: if people can get disabled because of poor coping, then all unexplained cases of disability are due to poor coping.

Last edited:

RogerBlack

Can anyone enlighten me as to what a "fearful cognition" might be, and how it might be distinguished from "fear"?
Fear is a symptom which may be objectively justified. 'I just saw PD White'.

Fearful cognition is a disordered pattern of thoughts looping on themselves to concentrate on the fear and make it worse, disconnected from objective reality. (there is no current immediate danger to worry about).

The idea is that CBT may help with this.

Chrisb

@RogerBlack Sorry Roger, I was probably being a little disingenuous. As whoever it was who made the original comments was complaining about "shameful language", I thought that "fearful cognition" does not deserve a place in any language with which I am familiar. It is clearly intended to mean something other than what it says.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
There was certainly something unpleasant in the tone of the article to which Wilshire et al are responding. There is also something unpleasant in the tone of the reviewer's comments. There was something unpleasant about White's presentation in Bristol at the CMRC. There is something very unpleasant about PACE supporters ringing up the employers of PACE critics, presumably in an attempt to dislodge them from their employment. There is no doubt where the unpleasantness lies. The obsession is on the part of those trying to defend a very bad study come what may. And that would not be an obsession in the psychiatric sense because in the psychiatric sense there is by definition a sense of guilt with it.