• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

P2X7 receptors, is it safe to block it?

pattismith

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5808178/

Published online 2018

The P2X7 Receptor in Inflammatory Diseases: Angel or Demon?

Very good review that shows that P2X7 can be deleterious in some viral infection like Flu or HIV, but protective in Chlamydia Trachomatis infection, parasitic infestations, and fungal infections

upload_2018-10-27_21-44-56.png

upload_2018-10-27_21-45-33.png

Hip

You are referring to @necessary8's purinergic ATP signaling hypothesis of ME/CFS?

Some potential P2X7 inhibitors are listed in this post, but I calculated in this post that most of these inhibitors will not be effective in vivo when you take them orally. So there don't appear to be many P2X7 inhibitors available to ME/CFS patients anyway. I calculated that high dose transdermal magnesium may have some P2X7 inhibition (high dose transdermal or injectable magnesium is an old well-known treatment of ME/CFS).

Hip

I thought the danger signal /Purinergic receptor activation ME/CFS hypothesis was from Robert Naviaux?

It is, but forum member necessary8 came up with a particular hypothesized mechanism (summarized in this post) based on Naviaux's general idea.

pattismith

Regulation of the Acute Sickness Response by the P2RX7 Receptor

Background

The acute sickness response to infection is a stereotyped set of illness manifestations initiated by proinflammatory signals in the periphery but mediated centrally.

P2RX7 is a highly polymorphic gene encoding an ATP-gated cationic pore, widely expressed on immune cells and the brain, and regulating the NLRP3 inflammasome, as well as diverse neural functions.

Methods

Associations between P2RX7 genotype, pore activity, and illness manifestations were examined in a cohort with acute viral and bacterial infections (n = 484).

Genotyping of 12 P2RX7 function-modifying single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) was used to identify haplotypes and diplotypes.

Leucocyte pore activity was measured by uptake of the fluorescent dye, YO-PRO-1, and by ATP-induced interleukin-1β (IL-1β) release.

Associations were sought with scores describing the symptom domains, or endophenotypes, derived from principal components analysis.

Results

Among the 12 SNPs, a 4-SNP haplotype block with 5 variants was found in 99.5% of the subjects.

These haplotypes and diplotypes were closely associated with variations in pore activity and IL-1β production.

Homozygous diplotypes were associated with overall illness severity as well as fatigue, pain, and mood disturbances.

Conclusions

P2RX7 signaling plays a significant role in the acute sickness response to infection, likely acting in both the immune system and the brain.