• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxygen-Ozone Therapy is an Effective Therapy in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Results in 100 Patients

raghav

Oxygen-Ozone Therapy is an Effective Therapy in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Results in 100 Patients

Objective: The Centres of Disease Control first described the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) at the end of 1980s. Since the last few decades, the therapeutic potential of ozone has gained much attention: in fact, when administered in precise therapeutic doses, oxygen-ozone therapy is active in many diseases.

Patients and Methods: At the Tirelli Medical Clinic in Pordenone, Italy, from February 2016 to December 2018, we have treated 100 patients, with auto hemo-transfusion, according to the SIOOT (Scientific Society of Oxygen Ozone Therapy) protocols, twice a week for one month and twice a month as maintenance therapy. Results: Females were 80, males were 20; age ranged from 13 to 60 years and the time from CFS diagnosis ranged from 1 to 15 years. To assess the extent of fatigue we employed the Fatigue Severity Scale which is used to estimate the severity of the symptom with a score ranging from 1 to 7. Of the 100 patients with CFS we have treated, 70 patients (70%) showed a significant improvement in symptomatology (>50% improvement in symptoms). There have been no side effects to oxygen-ozone therapy.

Conclusion: In conclusion, at our knowledge this is the largest study of patients with CFS treated with ozone therapy. Oxygen ozone therapy is an effective therapy in the treatment of CFS

Research Gate
Link

Last edited:

Hip

There is also a blog article on this ozone therapy for ME/CFS: Ozone Therapy – A Review.

To assess the extent of fatigue we employed the Fatigue Severity Scale which is used to estimate the severity of the symptom with a score ranging from 1 to 7. Of the 100 patients with CFS we have treated, 70 patients (70%) showed a significant improvement in symptomatology (>50% improvement in symptoms).

The Fatigue Severity Scale, whose questions are listed here, is a bit wishy-washy as a means to gauge the improvements in ME/CFS.

There are more objective ME/CFS scales which could have been used to measure the benefits of ozone therapy. The most simple is the ME/CFS scale of: very severe, severe, moderate, mild, remission.

EDIT 2021:

I was informed by an Italian ME/CFS patient that the Italian ozone researcher Umberto Tirelli uses dubious study practices: his studies are done mostly on very mild patients without cognitive impairment (who may not even have ME/CFS).

His good results are due to the fact the patients have very mild cases of chronic fatigue, and probably not even true ME/CFS.

And there is a conflict of interest in his studies, as he makes money from giving patients ozone therapy in his private clinic.

Last edited:

raghav

@Hip Thanks for the info. Anyway the reason why I posted this was this seemed to be the first organised clinical trial of using ozone for CFS. Most of the info on benefits of ozone therapy are in blogs which dont give them much credence.
BTW anybody from Italy here where this trial was conducted ?

Does anyone know if this is somewhat in line with any current hypotheses? Perhaps the IDO trap? Not intending on being overlyoptimistic, just interested, cheers.

Wishful

Isn't ozone a toxic chemical?

Toxicity is a matter of level, and location I suppose. Even pure water is toxic at a certain level. Ozone is toxic at fairly low levels, so yes it probably does some damage. If the damage done kills off defective cells or triggers a healing mechanism, it could be helpful. So, there is a possibility that ozone can help in specific ways. That said, there are probably a lot of claims that aren't supported by proper experimental evidence. Health scam marketers love that sort of thing. I suggest doing your own research into the claims before trying it.

Oh, keep in mind that what works for one ME patient doesn't necessarily work for another. We all seem to differ in our responses to treatments.