• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Out of illness, a vital creative life

Ember

Author Peter Hobbs relied on books, and friends, to sustain him for 10 years

by Noah Richler on Friday, April 27, 2012

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/04/27/out-of-illness-a-vital-creative-life/

In 1996, Englishman Peter Hobbs was on course for a dramatic new lifethough not the one hed foreseen. Just 23 years old, hed finished a masters in international relations and had been recruited out of Oxford by the British Foreign Office. He deferred the start of his job to travel to Pakistan for a few months. But in Pakistan, Hobbs contracted a virus and parasites that would befuddle London doctors and incapacitate him for 10 years. He was diagnosed with post-viral fatigue and then chronic fatigue syndromediagnoses by exclusion, said the author during a recent conversationand then depression. Even today, Hobbs suffers a certain frailty.

Im not sure I can fully articulate how isolated I felt during that long illness, said Hobbs. It was all-encompassing. Illness is a foreign land where you go always alone. I couldnt work, I couldnt see my friends, and if I did, it was clear that I was inhabiting a different world to them.

Hobbs, who is visiting Canada for the publication of his critically acclaimed second novel, In the Orchard, the Swallows, was nominated for several prizes including the 2007 Impac Dublin award for his first book, The Short Day Dying. A honed, elegant work of casual audacity, In the Orchard, the Swallows is narrated in the first person and tells the story of a young, unnamed Pakistani man who returns from many years in prison, broken and ill, to the village in the northern mountain ranges where, as a boy, he sold pomegranates. It is the boys terrible misfortune to have fallen in love with the daughter of a local politician and to have deigned to show the object of his love the most beautiful thing he knowsdawn in his familys orchard. After a remonstration with the girls father that he cannot possibly win, he is thrown into jail and suffers terribly.

It spoils nothing to divulge this much of Hobbss slim, perfect novel. In the Orchard, the Swallows doesnt need any extraneous knowledge of the authors illness to make it interesting, although it is impossible not to wonder whether or not the illness, a prison of a kind, provided the author a way into the story.

Obviously, says Hobbs, I used some of what I knew aboutundergoing drawn-out periods of isolation and suffering in order to imagine the life of the narrator, saybut I dont think you can read the novelist from the novel.

It was during his illness that Hobbsas his central character doesfound some catharsis through writing. And just as his protagonist finds succour in the kindness of strangersone named Abbas, in particular, a kind man with a library who provides care and a notebookHobbs had his own rescuers.

There was his childhood friend Lee Brackstone, an editor at Faber & Faber: Hed send me relief packagesbooks, music and the novels he was publishing, said Hobbs. They provided me with just enough sense of a vital, creative life carrying onone presently out of reach but that might prove accessible in time.

Another concerned friend was the Canadian public servant and occasional scholar, David Malone, president of Canadas International Development Research Centre, a Crown corporation that supports applied research in the developing world. The pair met at New College at Oxford, where Malone remembers Hobbs shooting around Oxford at warp speed on his bike, a look of fanatical concentration etching his features, though, later in their friendship, able to do very little indeed, as walking more than about three blocks would leave him in a state of near-collapse.

This week in Toronto, his Canadian friend played patron at a generous launch of the book at the University of Torontos Massey College. Its very hard to make a living out of literary writing, says Malone. Indeed, the Foreign Office kept a place open for Hobbs for years before accepting that he had found a new, more suitable mtier. I hope for Pete that his healthstill tenuousholds out, says Malone, so that he continues to write as brilliantly and movingly as he has done for many, many more years.

Related articles:

"Tried by a horrible disease, Peter Hobbs turns to writing:" http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news... RSS/Atom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2415993.

"Peter Hobbs arrived at one of this years best books the hard way:" http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/20...ed-at-one-this-years-best-books-the-hard-way/.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
His book sounds great - i/m going to put it on my list.

Having M.E has also enabled me to embark on a creative life of writing. I am currently studying a creative writing course with the Open University (online) I am getting very good feedback from my tutor which is spurring me on to wan to write more. Before i was this ill i always spent my time doing crap jobs to make ends meet, but now i can follow my real dreams to write - or at least to see if i can.

Now the main thing holding me back is this forum - far too much time spent browsing and chatting on here and not enough on actually getting down to writing!
Justy.

Ember

I've ordered both In the Orchard, the Swallows and The Short Day Dying. Unfortunately the short stories volume, I Could Ride All Day in My Cool Blue Train, is out of print.

Peter Hobbs' fiction isn't autobiographical, but it seems to be informed by his illness experience. Of his new novel he says, Obviously I used some of what I knew aboutundergoing drawn-out periods of isolation and suffering in order to imagine the life of the narrator.... Here are a couple of reviews of his earlier works:

A voice crying in the wilderness
Peter Hobbs's debut, The Short Day Dying, is a masterclass in less is more, says Kirsty Gunn
The Observer, Sunday 13 March 2005
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2005/mar/13/fiction.features1

Variations on a theme
The characters in Peter Hobbs's haunting collection of stories, I Could Ride All Day in My Cool Blue Train, are incapable of pleasure says Roy Robins
The Observer, Sunday 19 March 2006
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006/mar/19/fiction.features1

David Malone is right: Its very hard to make a living out of literary writing. Besides, I could do with the inspiration. Courageous Daffodil comments, "It's nice to see something with substance being marketed to booklovers, and this review has helped Mr. Hobbs and his book to stand out. His personal story is as inspiring as I'm sure his book will be."

L'engle

moogle

Having M.E has also enabled me to embark on a creative life of writing. I am currently studying a creative writing course with the Open University (online) I am getting very good feedback from my tutor which is spurring me on to wan to write more. Before i was this ill i always spent my time doing crap jobs to make ends meet, but now i can follow my real dreams to write - or at least to see if i can.

Now the main thing holding me back is this forum - far too much time spent browsing and chatting on here and not enough on actually getting down to writing!
Justy.

Don't worry, Justy, many authors write just 1-3 hours per day, with the other hours spent finding inspiration elsewhere. Writing is very intense and takes tons of energy, but doesn't need to take your whole day the way a job might. So keep coming to the forum as much as you like :D Certainly an inspiring place :)

Ember

Perhaps you'll be moved to start a writers' corner.:sofa:

free at last

Perhaps Ember - when i have a bit more energy!

:D
Good luck Justy, something positive out of the darkness is always a victory.

Writing is something ive also been thinking about. With my Astronomy, i may have a small but interested audience. Its just been thoughts at this point. I also for a long time wanted to write about the journey we call illness. But maybe it would be too raw for many. As my thoughts always seem to lean towards the darkness. the sheer horror. of what life can surprisingly throw at us all.

But maybe the hope and light that came back. balances those thoughts into a meaningful whole i dont know.

Maybe in some ways i want to shake people. take them to that place that is never considered, realized, felt. Just because its poweful. Let them know that those that live in a world of safeness.It can be gone in a intstant.

How lucky they really are. How perfect life is when you dont have a care. And how the little things that most take for granted can suddenly be bliss to a person thats seen the scarier side to life.

standing on a beach, or in the sea. walking and talking in the sunshine with friends or loved ones. Not in pain or fear. but glad to be alive. Sitting in a resturant enjoying the meal and company. with no feelings of doom waiting just around the corner. A life before illness. But now more appreciative of those Small things so many take for granted. Being free in the world with sunshine.

Because soon it will be back to hiding. and horrible thoughts of illness, fever. viruses. hospitals. lack of control, fear. sweating, nausea. dizzyness. A fear of winter illness.
Waiting for the sunshine to return again Justy. So many are still there, for them there is no sunshine yet. And it may or may not come for them. My hope is for those to feel that sunshine again. Because i know they will appreciate it more than those that havent had to lose it. YET

Ember

Have you also added Love and Fatigue in America to your list, Justy? Roger King was teaching creative writing, literature and film when he was diagnosed with ME in 1991 (http://www.gazettenet.com/2012/05/11/leverett-author-describes-surprising-effects-of-illness).