• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Orthostatic Intolerance after COVID-19 Infection: Is Disturbed Microcirculation of the Vasa Vasorum of Capacitance Vessels the Primary Defect?

SWAlexander

Abstract

Following COVID-19 infection, a substantial proportion of patients suffer from persistent symptoms known as Long COVID. Among the main symptoms are fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, muscle weakness and orthostatic intolerance (OI). These symptoms also occur in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue (ME/CFS). OI is highly prevalent in ME/CFS and develops early during or after acute COVID-19 infection. The causes for OI are unknown and autonomic dysfunction is hypothetically assumed to be the primary cause, presumably as a consequence of neuroinflammation. Here, we propose an alternative, primary vascular mechanism as the underlying cause of OI in Long COVID. We assume that the capacitance vessel system, which plays a key role in physiologic orthostatic regulation, becomes dysfunctional due to a disturbance of the microvessels and the vasa vasorum, which supply large parts of the wall of those large vessels. We assume that the known microcirculatory disturbance found after COVID-19 infection, resulting from endothelial dysfunction, microthrombus formation and rheological disturbances of blood cells (altered deformability), also affects the vasa vasorum to impair the function of the capacitance vessels. In an attempt to compensate for the vascular deficit, sympathetic activity overshoots to further worsen OI, resulting in a vicious circle that maintains OI. The resulting orthostatic stress, in turn, plays a key role in autonomic dysfunction and the pathophysiology of ME/CFS.
more at: https://www.mdpi.com/1648-9144/58/12/1807

A personal note: My OI (Orthostatic Intolerance) and my concentration became much better since I take concentrated infra-red treatment on top of my head (cerebral region).

1672856530401.png

Last edited:

Forummember9922

Hoosierfans

Abstract

Following COVID-19 infection, a substantial proportion of patients suffer from persistent symptoms known as Long COVID. Among the main symptoms are fatigue, cognitive dysfunction, muscle weakness and orthostatic intolerance (OI). These symptoms also occur in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue (ME/CFS). OI is highly prevalent in ME/CFS and develops early during or after acute COVID-19 infection. The causes for OI are unknown and autonomic dysfunction is hypothetically assumed to be the primary cause, presumably as a consequence of neuroinflammation. Here, we propose an alternative, primary vascular mechanism as the underlying cause of OI in Long COVID. We assume that the capacitance vessel system, which plays a key role in physiologic orthostatic regulation, becomes dysfunctional due to a disturbance of the microvessels and the vasa vasorum, which supply large parts of the wall of those large vessels. We assume that the known microcirculatory disturbance found after COVID-19 infection, resulting from endothelial dysfunction, microthrombus formation and rheological disturbances of blood cells (altered deformability), also affects the vasa vasorum to impair the function of the capacitance vessels. In an attempt to compensate for the vascular deficit, sympathetic activity overshoots to further worsen OI, resulting in a vicious circle that maintains OI. The resulting orthostatic stress, in turn, plays a key role in autonomic dysfunction and the pathophysiology of ME/CFS.
more at: https://www.mdpi.com/1648-9144/58/12/1807

A personal note: My OI (Orthostatic Intolerance) and my concentration became much better since I take concentrated infra-red treatment on top of my head (cerebral region).

View attachment 50329
I have OI really badly and have a red light at home. How are you getting “concentrated infra red treatment on the top of my head”? Are you using a fat infrared light? If so which one? Mine broadcasts its light to quite a large area but I could def lay down and have it hit the top of my head.

SWAlexander

Are you using a fat infrared light?
Yes, I do. this is the one I use for the neck and head. It is flexible. This IR light and antihistamine helped me most when I had brain and neck pain due to one cytokine storm after another leading to encephalitis(inflammation of the active tissues of the brain caused by an infection or an autoimmune response).