• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Orange juice makes my mum’s hand and arm pain worse

Sophiedw

This burning inflammatory and cramping pain was brought on by stress but I assume it’s mediated by the immune system.
She says orange juice makes it immediately worse. Why might this be? Citrate? Vitamin C? Sugar?
Has anybody had any similar experiences with orange juice and increased inflammation? Or could offer any clues? Thanks

nerd

It has to be something water-soluble or interacting in the stomach when it is an immediate effect. It could be histamine or other amines. It could be an allergy. Or the things you've listed. Though, I don't see how such low amounts of Vitamin C would cause any issues (when compared to the supplement). Sugar could trigger a quick insulin release.

Sophiedw

Ooo good point, thank you nerd. I wonder if orange juice is high histamine or other high histamine foods cause her such issues.

nerd

Ooo good point, thank you nerd. I wonder if orange juice is high histamine or other high histamine foods cause her such issues.

Orange juice is high in histamine, especially because the fruits that are used for juice might be of different ripeness. The riper the greater the histamine content. But she would notice similar immediate issues with other fluid histamine-rich foods.

Viala

It can also be oxalates which are known for causing pain and inflammation. Is it fresh homemade orange juice or store bought? What ingredients are there? The best is to test if reactions repeat with other similar products, so test for other high histamine products, high oxalate, high sugar, other citrus juices, or ingredients from this particular juice. It can also be pesticide residue from oranges, may try organic instead.

nerd

It can also be oxalates which are known for causing pain and inflammation. Is it fresh homemade orange juice or store bought? What ingredients are there? The best is to test if reactions repeat with other similar products, so test for other high histamine products, high oxalate, high sugar, other citrus juices, or ingredients from this particular juice. It can also be pesticide residue from oranges, may try organic instead.

Do you think that oxalates can cause an immediate reaction?

Viala

Do you think that oxalates can cause an immediate reaction?
I think so, the body reacts much faster to fluids than to solid food. If it's oxalates same reaction would be to beet juice or spinach smoothie.

Sophiedw

Really informative thank you guys. Is there a very high histamine drink I could try her on to see if it may be that? I did try to navigate that Mac’s website you sent nerd but i found it a little confusing 🥴 probs just my fuzzy mind

ljimbo423

She says orange juice makes it immediately worse. Why might this be? Citrate? Vitamin C? Sugar?

Maybe because it can trigger the release of histamine as Nerd said-

Though citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, and oranges are not actually high in histamine, they can trigger the release of histamine in your body. Many health care professionals recommend limiting citrus fruits and juices as part of a low-histamine diet.

Link

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I just remembered that an allergist told us that the citrus juices made from concentrates get stored in big vats and at times mold can be found growing on top.

They advised us only to use citrus juices that were listed as "not from concentrate" because of that.

lenora

I think so, the body reacts much faster to fluids than to solid food. If it's oxalates same reaction would be to beet juice or spinach smoothie.

It could definitely be a fast reaction to pesticides. Or even the oils in the orange itself. Strange one. Yours, Lenora.