• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ontario researchers say they've found what causes long-COVID symptoms June 29/22

keepontruckin

“What we saw on the MRI was that the transition of the oxygen into the red blood cells was depressed in these symptomatic patients who had had COVID-19, compared to healthy volunteers.”

https://london.ctvnews.ca/ontario-r...und-what-causes-long-covid-symptoms-1.5966717

I assume they mean the long term lung symptoms

Here is the paper:
https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.220492

Here is another tv news item
https://globalnews.ca/news/8950820/long-covid-canadian-researchers-causes-study/

Last edited:

Treeman

"By understanding the cause, team members responsible for patient care have been able to target treatment for these patients,” the press release reads.

What are the treatments?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I read the CBC article on this they could also tell the patients had low blood oxygenation with a fingertip oximeter upon exertion. We could replicate that if that were our issue.
The likely explanation here is that covid infection being in the lungs leaves something behind (perhaps scar tissue) that prevents the lungs from oxygenating blood. In which case they need to identify the culprit and find a drug to dissolve it if its a buildup of something.

I wonder if they would be willing to test me on this MRI, i'd be happy to sign up.

hapl808

Would be more convincing if the control group had COVID-19 but no lingering symptoms, as opposed to a healthy control group with no COVID-19 history. These kind of studies could be helpful, but of course they're trumpeted as an answer which they just don't come close to providing.

keepontruckin

When you think of the millions of people with me/cfs who take drugs for various reasons and have not found a solution, maybe scar tissue somewhere in the body could explain that.

SWAlexander

but of course they're trumpeted as an answer which they just don't come close to providing.
This is the reason I made this comment:
Dr. Valentina Viduto makes the most important point (I paraphrase) “not to treat symptoms but rather find what causes the symptoms”. Mr. Gerlach explains very clearly why it is necessary to bring the different experiences and experts into a connected panel. After all the body is one connected unit and a virus or bacteria can affect the whole human system. This is exactly the reason why I continue to believe that the Long Covid-19 Foundation and its experts are the most reliable information source.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Have they tried Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy in these patients to see if there is transient symptom improvement?

SWAlexander

Have they tried Hyperbaric Oxygen therapy in these patients to see if there is transient symptom improvement?
The Long Covid Coalition has many clinicians and experts speaking in 41 different presentations. I don't know. I have seen only eight of them.